Sunday, May 29, 2016

Geekdom Madness 2016 - Quarter Final: Emerald Elves/R&R

Welcome to the Geekdom Madness 2016 Quarter-Finals! Our past losers have been ruthlessly proving themselves winners in their own right, and now we see who gets to be in the Elite Four!





Welcome back:



MATCH 1: Emerald Elves





YODA

I picked Yoda for this competition because when I first saw Star Wars episodes IV-VI, Yoda was my favorite character. He remained my favorite character until I recently realized I liked Jar Jar more and actually had for a while before I was willing to change my lineup. Even still, Yoda is a solid number 2.

Interestingly, because my love of Yoda has been shared by most Star Wars fans across all demographics, and because he gets many limelights in which to shine, I've actually been actively rooting against him in every step of both this year's competition and the original two years prior.





THE GREEN GOBLIN

I picked the Green Goblin for this competition because he is my favorite comic-book character of all time. When I first saw the character, in the form of an action figure for the Spider-Man animated series in the 1990s, I thought he was just a rip-off of the Hobgoblin. It wasn't until years later that I found out that Gobby was classic, and the animated series did Hobby first because both Norman and Harry were dead in the comics at that point.

It was Willem Dafoe's performance in the 2002 Spider-Man film that cemented my love for the character. If I met Norman in real life, I'd probably punch him for being such a douchebag. But if I could have any skillset and tech equipment of any comic book character ever created, it would be Gobby by a country mile. Forget Batman, Gobby has the most wonderful toys (in my opinion).





***




MATCH 2: R&R





THE RIDDLER

I picked The Riddler for this competition because, as I mentioned in both previous competitions, I have a very difficult time deciding which Batman villain is truly my favorite, and it really fluctuates between the so-called "Big Four" - Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, and Riddler - and Man-Bat (coming next year! Shh!). Interestingly, Riddler is sort of the newest addition to this list for me, since I'm only now feeling clever enough to really get and identify with his character.

The Riddler holds the distinction of being one of only two Batman villains I've ever dressed up as for Halloween, and I did Riddler twice in a row and is one of my favorite "simple" costumes.




THE ROADRUNNER

I picked The Roadrunner for this competition because he is my favorite Loony Tunes character of all time since I was 3 years old. He's not the funniest, or even necessarily the most entertaining to watch on his own. But even from that young age I was instantly drawn to the character design above anything else. I believe that Roadrunner is the coolest-looking character in the classic Warner Brothers roster.

Although I was never a fan as a kid, I have been lately growing fond of Roadrunner's arch-nemesis and comedy partner - enough that he may appear in a future competition.



***


Final Verdict
I'm voting for Green and/or Purple. How about you guys?

As always, make sure you're viewing the WEB version of the site and vote in the polls (remember, there are two now) on the right-hand side of the screen. Polls close Friday at 5:00 p.m., and results posted on Saturday. Feel free to discuss your picks in the comments below.













No comments:

Post a Comment