Saturday, May 28, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 19: The Gauntlet

Previously on Pokémon FireRed





























Chapter 19: The Gauntlet



















And here...we...GO....




















Sure, 'play'.























Not the most effective, but it's the only way Grass-on-Grass can happen.




















Hey, it's working for me (no offense)



























Some people aren't, and that's fine, but at the same time don't let one loss keep you down.




















Well, I don't want to toot my own horn...






















Finally, the time has come...




















Show us what you can do!




















WOO! The POWER of water!






















You're right. It was obvious and I did know it.




















I don't see why not.






















This Confusion is doing okay due to the Poison Types, but Binks is still vulnerable to the Grass moves, so let's bring in some backup.























Yes, sadly, which is why I don't use traded Pokémon.




















That's smart, but it's a shame it has to come to that.























That's nice.





















You know, I was a little facetious before, but this is a legitimately nice sentiment.




















Thank you?




















Let's try out Misty's move now...






















What's with the past tense, lady? Me and Binks ARE cute, present tense! Right, Binks?




















Holy Tauros, already?! Binks the Psyduck, we hardly knew ye...
























Oooh, but the glow up is real! And so majestic! (still a klutz though, but we love her)

[[Nilbog Notes:































Golduck
#055
Water
Evolves from Psyduck at Level 33
"Often seen swimming elegantly by lake shores. It is often been mistaken for the Japanese monster, Kappa"

Golduck is not gold but Psyduck is and that's a weird coincidence based on weird translations and that's all I'm saying about that. Golduck is pretty and I've always wanted one. Again, should be Water/Psychic but it isn't so oh well.]]




















Hey, big girls don't cry.

(that's a joke we totally do and that's okay. It's okay for everyone to cry.)




















Only if you fork over all your cash when you lose to me.

























Yeah, that's what I thought.




















Are you fighting me with stolen Pokémon? Are you a Rocket?!






















FINALLY an upgrade! Oh I can't wait to try this!

[[Nilbog Notes: Ember has a base power of 40. Flamethrower has a base power of 95. Now that's a hell of an upgrade with no in-betweens. There are Fire moves that have power inbetween that, but Axel's line doesn't have access to them in this Generation.]]


























Outlaw as in fighting the unjust system, sure. Outlaw as in being an asshole and causing harm to people for your own gain, not so much.




















Backtracking a bit before moving on.





















She don't know me very well, do she?
























I've known good ones, but these ones are putzes.




















Ummm....suuuuure?





















Ooof, poor Indy!
























So speak up.
























I'm not getting rid of any of these guys anytime soon.




















Okay, time to move forward.























Wow, another one so soon?





















It happens, don't worry about it.





















That's the spirit!




















You don't have to if you don't want to.




















Okay, but I gave you an out.























Depends on you focus.

Let's take this left fork first.




















Calm down, yappy dog.


























Deep breaths. Take a nap. Chill.




















This doesn't seem very wide open to me.

























Not really. Not everyone who has power is just merely by wielding it. Many people use their might to inflict the most grievous wrongs.




















*aggressive finger snapping*























Don't you mean 'washed away'?




















Um....yes. Me. Like I literally just did.


























Raising them is the best part!



















Anything good up here?





















Let's get back through here.




















No?
























Ooh, those sound neat. Is perhaps one of the birds the one I saw in the binoculars?

Oh, before I go, let me double-check that grass back there...



















Eh.





















I don't have any bird Pokémon so...

Axel, woah, hold on, you'll get your chance to battle and try out your new move!





















It's b e a u t i f u l.......






















You got that right!




















Hey, you do you, but diversification is the best.




















I know. I bought one.


























Yes. I. Know.



























Dude, they didn't even get to fire off a move.


























I'd like the think that I'm very good with my moves.




















Clearly where I'm going and not you.

























This was all you, man.




























Stop rubbing it in. I'd love to be able to fly!

Aww, Axel, I know you're sad too, but you nudge too rough...



















I know how to arrange my items.


























Me too. 

Yes, Axel, I love you too. (Boy you're nudgy today)




















What post? On the other side of this fence? Who...who wrote this?



















Nice to meet you, but I have to check a post.

























Thank you, you did...well too.




















Why do you think I'm doing this?




















Oh nice!




















Yeah, they're neat. You gonna try for some?
























I mean, you could totally wipe the floor with Brock at least.




















Of course!























If I had any PP left for Psychic it would be over sooner.




















Well, that's mostly valid. You're halfway there.




















A little creepy...
























Gee, what a flip.




















They're pretty equal actually. You know, like people.



























Go for it! You certainly have a larger team than a lot of these guys. Just diversify.

























Pokémon love battling.
























I'm collecting vitamins, but we're waiting until the Pokémon League to use them.























What?

























You have to get something better to switch train until it evolves.





















A few, but none I'm giving up...
























I still had Baku and Indy.






















What about Pokémon on fire?























Hey, acoustic is just as good sometimes.



















Oh wow, I could tell you were fighting harder. Did you know this was coming?























Oh my Arceus, Axel you are MAGNIFICENT!




















THAT'S why you kept getting antsy every time Flying-Type moves came up!

[[Nilbog Notes:





























Charizard
#006
Fire/Flying
Evolves from Charmeleon at Level 36
"Spits fire that is hot enough to melt boulders. Known to cause forest fires unintentionally"

Charizard is my second-favorite Pokémon of all time. It is the reason that, at 12 years old, given the choice between my favorite color Blue and my absolute least favorite color Red, I chose Red Version. I can sympathize to an extent with people who find Charizard to be overexposed - he is the most represented of the Kanto starters in merchandise, and is in the running of second only to Pikachu in most represented Pokémon period. But I mean....LOOK AT HIM. Even if he's not to your particular taste, you can't deny it's obvious WHY he has mass appeal.]]



















Believe me, I know.

Axel, I'm sorry I wasn't picking up on all your hints. Here's that HM move you deserve.





















And here's a stronger and more appropriate Steel move.






















Alrighty, we just passed Fishing Guru the Younger's house and the crossing with Route 11 where Totoro the Snorlax was. That must mean we're on the home stretch.





















I've got some bad news for you...





















Sorry, Raiden...






















That's why you don't bet important stuff like that on the outcome of a battle. (I'm never getting married.)




























You'll get there, just keep at it.





















That's not my nickname. I refuse.
























Well I can't argue with that (*coughDratinicough*)




















Ain't nobody got time for that.
























So get one. This guy down the road is giving them away.

























Good luck.




















This should be it...





















My sincere condolences.
























Thank you.






















Okay, Axel, are you ready to flex those wings?
























Giovanni, I'm coming for you. With a DRAGON!

(well, he's not a Dragon Type, but semantics)

***

[[Nilbog Notes: This was a double-sized episode I expected to me shorter, and next week's episode is almost certainly going to be even longer! Until then, the team:


















Tune in next week!]]


No comments:

Post a Comment