Friday, May 6, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 16: Tower of Terror

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:
























Chapter 16: Tower of Terror




















I got the Silph Scope from the Rockets, which means it's likely some are still trying to advance their poaching operation up here. We're going to search every nook and cranny of this place, 'ghosts' be damned.




















Let's see you try to frighten us off now!




















Yeah, that's what I thought. No ghosts, just Ghost Types.





















I know it's a girl, but I'm never gonna give up this pun.

[[Nilbog Notes:




























Gastly
#092
Ghost/Poison
"Almost invisible, this gaseous Pokémon cloaks the target and puts it to sleep without notice."

The first stage in the one and only Ghost Type line in Generation 1. Their sub-Poison typing still makes them a little too vulnerable to the Psychics they were created to take out, but they're still solid litle guys who have only gotten stronger as the games have improved.]]



















Oh look, another thing I can sell.

Hey, Miss, have you seen any jumpsuited bozos running around?



















Erm...Miss?






















O-kay, now I'm scared. These Ghost Types are having adverse effects on the people here. Maybe they already took care of the Rockets, but at what cost?




















You don't say.
























I must really tread cautiously. Don't want one of these Gastlys to trap me in my own head.
























That excuse sounded a little rehearsed if I'm being honest.




















Up up up the stairs I go.





















How about no?
























It's all been Gastlys so far.





















Oh! It''s you! You're the little orphan from the town. You want to give those Rockets what for? Well...I don't have room on my team, but you can still come along with me if you really want to. Does that sound good?




















I think he nodded.




















He'll make a fine addition to my collection.

[[Nilbog Notes:
































Cubone
#104
Ground
"Because it never removes its skull helmet, no one has ever seen this Pokémon's real face."

My favorite Ground Type line. One of my biggest regrets in building the team based on Gym Leader types is that I couldn't really use this cute little guy, especially with the story opportunity you just saw. Well, technically there was a way, but it would require a lot of sequence breaking and extra shenanigans which I will go into when I catch the Rock type that would have allowed me to use him. Cubone is currently my son's favorite Pokémon.

Oh, and it can learn Ice Beam for some reason.]]



















Like....physically or in battle?






















Let's hope once I clear this place out.


























You just fought me with it.






















No, I don't think I will.























Yes that seems to be going around.




















This looks like it came from a Paras...




















Aw come on, that's not scary. If you REALLY wanted to be scary, you'd say "Give...me...your...soul..."





















Wow, an even BIGGER one. Luckily this Giga Drain isn't doing too terrible, especially for being not very effective against Poison.





















Just don't get repossessed.

Anyway, what's the deal with these squigglies over here?





















Okay, sure.






















Oh, that actually worked? Neat!




















This tag says it's supposed to repel wild Pokémon, but my team need experience, so...




















What did you say? 'Crombies'? That's not even a real word. You're losing your mind.























Mazel Tov.




















Do you need like a sick bag or something?























IN THE MOUNTAINS?! (Okay, I'll stop)





















Jeez, this is a lot more stairs than I expected.






















Oh, bigger boy!





















He's the ghost with the most, babe.

[[Nilbog Notes:






























Haunter
#093
Ghost/Poison
Evolves from Gastly at Level 25
"Because of its ability to slip through block walls, it is said to be from another dimension"

Haunter is a Pokémon I always liked but never really used, because I actually like its evolution less than it design-wise (though I like Gengar just fine). Interestingly, notice the level I caught this one is lower than when it's supposed to evolve. This happens a few times in this game and its always a bit weird.]]



















See? Now, THAT'S scary.

























I feel like I can't decide which of Baku's attacks I like one-shotting Gastlys with more.
























You tell me, you were the one making all those weird noises.

































Suspiciously specific denial...




















Well, time to go up these weird center stairs and - 



















Wait what




















Didn't you hear? The Gastlys stopped trying. I have this thing, you know.





















Woah, what? 

This presence...it's...different somehow...

They did say all the Marowak were gone...

I actually don't think I can catch this one...I think....

I think I just have to battle...




















Or just suck it into my containment unit. I've seen Ghostbusters.






















Damn...this one was for you, Grievous...





















Good, I needed some people to hold responsible for this Pokémon cruelty. The beatings for justice shall commence...




















This is for Grievous' mom and all his other relatives that you poached!


























That's right, run back to Saffron. I know where you're all hiding. I'll get there soon enough.






















Is that the Fuji guy from the volunteer house in town? Well, allow me to join this adult conversation with my angry ape!


























Pokémon are living creatures that deserve our respect and our love. Your business is my business until you are out of business, capisce?!




















We'll see about that.























Just one more, Axel!




















Damn, sorry buddy.























I know you're not, but what about me?

Hey, Mr. Fuji, are you okay? My name is Viola and I'm here to rescue you.






















Oh, well you're in luck.






















Lead the way!





















Deep love for Pokémon is one thing that I have in spades.

Speaking of, maybe I should tell Oak to let Grievous live with Mom...They could both use the company.





















:-0





















Oh I know JUST the ones!

A quick ride to Vermilion, and then...




















I'm heading to Fuschia City via the Cycling Road, but I wanted to get you specifically first over your big brother or whatever.



















[[Nilbog NotesPokémon that appear in the overworld like this are unique encounters. You usually only get one shot at catching them and then they're gone forever. Always save right before engaging so if you mess up you can restart and try again. No I will not be revealing how many times I tried each one.

Also, while we're here, I want to quickly mention that while the PokéFlute is specifically for the Snorlaxes in the overworld, as you'll soon see it can be used in battle to cure Sleep. So add Awakenings to the list of things no longer worth spending money on and can sell right away now that we have unlimited free uses.]]





















Move your big posterior!




















Nothing I can't handle.




















All right, we may as well try to capture this guy. Raiden, Paralyze him and try using your Fighting move to bring him down (he looks like a Normal type)






















Ugh, it's okay Raiden, bring him down with one more hit and then I can throw balls while you sleep.























Dammit! It didn't even wiggle once!




















UGH! I HATE Rest. The move. Welp, time to rinse and repeat.




















This exact thing happens literally five more times.

And then...




















FINALLY!




















I mean I do want to sit on his belly and roar in his face, but not in a friendly way.

[[Nilbog Notes:


























Snorlax
#143
Normal
Evolves from Munchlax with a high Happiness rating
"Very lazy, just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful"

He's just a fat bastard. A lot of people swear by him. I like him well enough as a Gen 1 Pokémon but he's nowhere near my list of favorites. I do like that if you put all of his in-game sprites from Gens 1-5 in a row in order it looks like he's slowly getting up.]]

Okay, now that that's taken care of I'm going to vent my furstrations on the other -

wait...



















What's that little house?




















A quick check won't hurt...

[[Nilbog Notes: While the game gives you the freedom to go to Fuschia any way you like, there is evidence that the game intends you to go down Cycling Road and come back up this way - namely this area which we are "supposed" to come to after finding a different area. So technically we are sequence-breaking slightly, but as you'll see there is a very good reason for this and it's usually worth taking this detour]]





















Oh...





















I might if I could catch more than just a Magikarp.






















Ooh, this one looks state of the art! It even has little beeping things on it!





















Can you catch more than just Magikarp with it?

"Kid, this rod catches anything. And I mean a-ny-thing-uh. You won't see hide nor hair of a Magikarp unless it's a really rare whopper double or more the size of a normal one!"

That's oddly specific but nice to hear!

"Speaking of which..."

Uh?






















You and your brother are more alike than I thought. But I will put this rod to the test at least.




















This is it. This is the moment. Ever since I saw those eyes on my way down here after beating Misty, I knew we were destined. If this thing can't find you, nothing can. I'll stand here all day...no...all WEEK if I have to!




















[[Nilbog Notes: So here's the fishing totorial. The fishing mechanic changes a lot from game to game, but in Gens 1 and 2, as well as these remakes, it's as simple as just choosing the rod from the bag and using it. The Old Rod will always get a bite, while the rest have a 50/50 chance of "Not Even A Nibble".]]






















Hmm, no, it's not you. But I can at least collect your data.





















It's a tadpole. That's all.

[[Nilbog Notes:






















Poliwag
#060
Water
"Its newly-grown legs prevent it from running. It appears to prefer swimming than trying to stand."

Based on a type of tadpole with translucent skin. That hypno-disk swirl on its belly? Those are its intestines. You're welcome.]]

Let's try this again...



















GAHH! Not you either! What is a monster like this doing in the pond?!

Hmm, too strong for Great Balls even at high health, but too low level for me to hit it with anything...Wait, I got it! The Nest Ball I got from the Rocket Hideout!





















I'm still just too astounded, so a mundane name will suffice.

[[Nilbog Notes:
























Gyarados
#130
Water/Flying
Evolves from Magikarp at Level 20
"Rarely seen in the wild. Huge and vicious, it is capable of destroying entire cities in a rage"

Most of what I have to say about Gyarados I said in my Magikarp entry back in Chapter 5, as I did not expect to find one. The whole deal is based on a Chinese legend that states that if a carp can swim up a certain waterfall and reach the Dragon's Gate it will become a dragon itself. Gyarados is not Dragon Type due to a myriad of reasons relating to Gen 1 design philosophy, but it is very draconic in aesthetic and attitude. And he's a beautiful blue.]]

I'm going to keep on trying...



















Oh! I know an old man in Cerulean who would LOVE to meet you!




















Tough little bugger.




















It's not easy being navy blue.

[[Nilbog Notes:

























Poliwhirl
#061
Water
Evolves from Poliwag at Level 25
"Capable of living in or out of water. When put of water, it sweats to keep its body slimy."

I don't care if people say thi is still just a tadpole, it is clearly a frog now. See this? This is frog. Poliwhirl is Pokémon creator Satoshi Tajiri's favorite Gen 1 Pokémon, hence why it is omnipresent in much of the earliest merchandise.]]

Okay, this time it's for real. I know you're there. Show yourself!



















Ahhhh, THERE you are! That vacant stare...I met your kin in Lavender... I knew we were fated to meet since I saw you watching me. And it looks like you've been keeping pace too. 

I ran out of Pokéballs trying to find you...that is, except for one. This Net ball that I've been saving just for you. I don't care how hard a struggle this will be, you are joining us!




















She...she literally fell over onto the ball...just tripped and smacked her head into it...




















Well...clumsy does not necessarily mean incompetent...I trust the force that guided me here.

[[Nilbog Notes:




























Psyduck
#054
Water
"While lulling enemies with its vacant look, this wiley Pokémon will use psychokinetic powers"

This is a Pokémon and line I've long held an extreme fondness for but was never able to find space in a team for...until now. In Gen 1 Psyduck was available in both games, but in the remakes he's exclusive to FireRed while LeafGreen gets Slowpoke. I've long held the belief that Psyduck should have been Water/Psychic like Slowpoke due to his flavor. Also, it took me until the planning stages for this Let's Play to realize that this is clearly a platypus.]]



















Thade, you've had a good run. You were one of my first, and you got me through many important battles. But the time has come for me to add some water onto my team.




















Speaking of, now I have a use for this. Misty told me to use it on an aquatic Pokémon, and that's just what I'll do. I just wish it hadn't taken this long.




















Binks, you have to chill in the back until the team catches up to your level. But once they see what you can do I'm sure you'll wow them. 

This feels right. I know I'm only halfway through the gyms so I don't know what other types I might need, but this feels like the team. THE team.

***

[[Nilbog Notes: And here finally we have THE team:

























Ahh this screen. Binks has a Quiet nature, which cuts her Speed in order to boost her Special Attack. And I can FINALLY talk about Water types. Water Types are one of the most ubiquitous and consistently strong Types in the franchise. Defensively, they're only weak to Grass and Electric moves while they resist Fire, Water, Ice, and Steel. Offensively, Water is super effective against Fire, Ground, and Rock, while it is resisted by Water, Grass, and Dragon.














Her Ability is Cloud Nine, which negates weather effects. That means that if a Pokémon sets up Sun, Rain, Sand, or Hail, Binks can keep anyone from getting those benefits by being on the field. Again, despite the flavor, that Confusion is the only Psychic attack she'll learn, and with Baku on the team she's going to eventually swap it out for something with more utility. But not before we get rid of those other moves.

At this level she won't actually stay a Psyduck for too long, but we have the other five to grant two levels each before we can start raising her, so hopefully that will help her presence to endear in that time.

Tune in next week!]]

No comments:

Post a Comment