Saturday, November 30, 2013

November Anniversaries

Just to reiterate.

A) I'm doing mostly just movies this round. Next round I'll be more diligent with things like TV shows and Video Games (I'm upset I missed Animaniaces back in September...ah, ten more years, if I last that long).

B) I'm doing mostly movies I've seen or know enough about through popcuktural osmosis. If there's a movie you love that I've left out, shout it out in the comments! However...

C) Wait until the end of the month if you can, since sometimes I do special single anniversary posts, as I will do in just a few minutes.

With that out of the way...





Ten Years Old This Month
Elf - When Will Ferrel left SNL to pursue a movie career, and then started to make this, I didn't think it would amount to much. Boy, was I wrong. This was an instant holiday classic. Did I develop a crush on Zooey Deschanel in this movie? MAYBE, DON'T JUDGE ME!
Love Actually - Best romantic comedy ever, or best romantic comedy ever? Don't answer that if you categorically hate romcoms...but Bill Nighy steals this movie, yes or yes?
The Cat in the Hat - Yes, the Mike Myers one. Is it a great movie? Absolutely not. Is it a good movie? Eh...is it a bad movie? Definitely not. While some of the more adult humor falls a little flat, I do believe it keeps the spirit of Suess, and I find myself enjoying it time and again - for the most part.

Twenty Years Old This Month
Mrs. Doubtfire - This is one of those movies where, because of my own traumatic experience with parental divorce, I have a really hard time watching even today because it brings up so many conflicting memories. That being said, it is a classic and one of Robin Williams' tour-de-force performances.

Fifty Years Old This Month
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World - Been a long time since I've seen this movie, so I forget a lot of the specifics. Still, this is the quintessential "All-Star Cast Goes On A Madcap Treasure Hunt" movie, and there aren't nearly enough of them in my opinion.

5 comments:

  1. "Best romantic comedy ever, or best romantic comedy ever?"

    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (though I suppose it's debatable as a comedy)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eternal Sunshine, while absolutely spectacular, is a hard movie to pin down genre-wise.

      Delete
    2. Indeed. Maybe "Surrealist Science-Fiction Romantic Dramedy"?

      Delete
  2. **********WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILERS*************

    "Oh this place reminds me of Santa's workshop....only dirtier and everyone looks like they want to hurt me."

    "I like to whisper too!"

    "There are only four food groups for elves-candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup."

    It's still so freaking weird that Elf is over a decade old. It's old enough to be considered a classic. Say, did you know that they made a stop-motion animated special of Elf this past year? And Elf is voiced by Sheldon Cooper. I'm not making this up. Granted, Elf is a really good movie, buuuuut I think it's a bit too soon to be making an adaptation of it. I don't really have an opinion of it since I did only see a snippet of it while flipping channels.

    Good ol' Mrs. Doubtfire. This was my first PG-13 movie my parents let me watch. I love the speech at the end when Mrs. Doubtfire describes all the types of families out there, praising adoptive families and gay couples. ^_^

    And of course to this very day my brother torments our poor family dog with his "HELLOOOOOOOOOOOW!" impersonation.

    ReplyDelete