Saturday, March 5, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 7: One Misty Moisty Morning

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:









































Oh, she's in there. She's woozy, but she's fine.



Chapter 7: One Misty Moisty Morning




















Hey guys, what are we looking at?





















Oooh, Misty, eh? 






















I think all modes of relationships should be able to enjoy this view. Including non-relationships. Stop gatekeeping nature.

Anyway, that one Hiker mentioned a path back to Cerulean?



















This must be it.























That was fun! Hey, wait a second...



















I know those pajamas. I wonder if this officer knows.





















Please say it's obvious for the actual reason it's obvious...




















*sigh* You know, I'm a charitable person who believes in nuance and very few absolutes. I know the the truth is only MCAB.

I guess it's up to a minor with a fire lizard to actually do something about organized crime.


























I'd go for the Sandshrew. You get S.T.A.B. that way.

Anyway, out the hole to the culprit (provided he hasn't split yet)




















I think you know damn well it's not yours either!




















Dude, you have a giant "R" on your chest. You're not exactly subtle.





















You know, Drowzees get a bad rap because they're creepy and I only ever see skeevy people use them. And I think that's kind of a shame. I bet you could train one up to be nice though, like any other Pokémon.






















Thank you.





















Did...did he just pull a Batman on me?

Oh well. Time to return this to its rightful owner.



















.................

*sigh* Must be nice.

Well, on the bright side...





















[[Nilbog Notes: And just like that, we never have to waste money on Escape Ropes ever again. This is why Dig is hands down my favorite optional Field Move.]]




















That sounds adorable!

Hmm, with a name like Misty and calling herself a "Mermaid", I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess she specializes in Water Types.




















I suspect my hunch may be correct.




















Yo! How did you get here before me?



















You can try, as long as it's not basic info again!




















I had a feeling, but thank you for the confirmation.



















Like Drake!



















Like Raiden!

Okay, so that actually is good advice even though I sort of figured it out first. You're all right, man.

Nothing to do but just wade out and go for it.



















I get it, you like Water Types and you're swimming. You don't have to say the word "splash".


























We'll see about that.



















(oh no she's hot)




















My electric rat says different.























That is true. And I'm going to take a quick trip to the Pokémon Center to make sure my team is in top form.

Okay, back now. Deep breaths, Viola, you can do this.


















Hi, you're...hi!

(don't blow this)



















I guess I never thought of it, that way...




















Diversify, keep everyone at equal levels. I'm trying to build a team in honor of you Gym Leaders. What about you? What's your policy?




















I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the - ohhhh I see what you did there, good opening!





















Damn, I was hoping for a one-shot.





















Crap! Okay, please don't hurt yourself...



















Beautiful! Good job, Raiden!




















Let's switch you out to get rid of that confusion.



















Oh damn, that thing is fast and part Psychic. Drake, let's see if we can do something about this before it demolishes you...




















Okay, no Psychic-type moves, we may be in a better place than I thought.




















Awesome! Okay, Drake, suck its life out!




















Well that barely does anything.




















But that's good! I think we might be able to chip away from relative safety.























Nice! One more hit!




















Not so great. This isn't getting us anywhere.




















Let's see if Raiden can hit harder.

Oh wait! CRAP! I forgot Raiden is only at half health!


















Dammit!



















Sorry, buddy, that was 100% my own stupidity!

Okay, since it doesn't see to have any Psychic attacks, let's see if Thade can hit it any harder.




















And she uses a Potion besides...
























That was a bust. and since Axel and Indy will be creamed in one shot, I guess Drake is our only hope.


'
















Good...




















GOOD....





















REALLY?!

(I would totally do the same thing if I had any, no judgement)



















Back to the old drawing board then. Let's the attrition continue.


















Okay, we're back to low again. Two or three more hits, let's hope she doesn't have another Super-Potion.



















CRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!























Or am I not enough?






















That was closer than it needed to be.
























But I need to find out how to learn the move, just like Brock said about Flash....























The only one I have right now is a fish that can't learn TMs (I looked it up). 

I need to keep my eye out for Water Types to add to my team.




















I bet you say that to all the trainers.

Okay, so my next lead seems to be Vermilion City, where the S.S. Anne is docked. Looking at my map, that's a straight shot south from Cerulean through Saffron. The main path out of town is still blocked by overgrowth, but I think I might be able to cut through the Dig-person's house in order to go around.



















There we go.




















Keep working on that Slowbro.




















So there's two clear paths down or this series of hills in the center. Let's see what's down this path.




















KITTY!





















Just got his driver's liscense.

[[Nilbog Notes:

















Meowth
#052
Normal
"Adores circular objects. Wanders the streets on a nightly basis to look for dropped loose change"

Originally exclusive to Blue with its counterpart being Mankey, when Mankey was put into both FireRed and LeafGreen Meowth followed suit. Being the second most important non-human character in the anime after Pikachu and hands-down the best character on the show amongst the main cast - don't @ me - probably had something to do with it as well (funnily enough I only just noticed that Pikachu is #025 and Meowth is #052. Coincidence?)

Meowth is my favorite Normal-type line, due to his signature move Pay Day which, while relatively weak, allows you to pick up money equal to half his level times ten for each use of the move during battle (and also due to, again, being the best character on the show). He's even better in these remakes where he naturally learns a couple of pretty reliable Dark moves while gaining the Pickup ability which gives a random chance to find really good items just by walking around. I almost decided to switch him out for Mankey as my slot filler until I had my final team together, but as you'll see in the future it thematically makes sense to hold onto a Fighting type  as the last to be switched out.]]




















What's this little house?






















Nah, raising my Pokémon is one of the best parts.

[[Nilbog Notes: The Day Care is an odd device. In Gen 1, this guy just gives whatever Pokémon you leave with him experience based on steps walked, then you payed him $100 + $100 per level raised to get it back. And you have no control over their movesets. I can see no real reason for it except if you needed to bench someone for a time to raise a ringer and wanted to keep the other one equal in levels. Or if you wanted to get a Pokémon to Evolution level without fighting with it. But again the moveset thing is a huge drawback.

In Gens 2 and onward, Day Cares became a bit more important, as now you could leave two Pokémon there at once with the chance they will breed. Unfortunately, since Pokémon outside of the original 151 are locked in FireRed/LeafGreen until postgame to the point where even added happiness evolutions autocancel until then, this guy is just the Gen 1 Day Care and the breeding option is in a seperate location.]]




















Okay, onward through Saffron and to Vermilion.






















Really? That sucks. How do I get there?



















Oh that could work.




















Just a little girl playing with Nidoran.


























I didn't see anything.

[[Nilbog Notes: Hidden Items in the underground path (and the Paras tunnels in Mt. Moon) don't show up until later]]




















The road to Saffron is still shut from this direction (and that guard said something about being thirsty too...)




















I'm going to stick to the roads this time.


























Yeah, you do that.

Wait...what was that?




















Eyes, vacant yet far reaching. Staring up at me through the water.


Sorry, I know that's going to haunt me.























I just know how to handle Squirtles.



























Sorry, didn't mean to be a gadfly.



















I try to be.
























I think you only had one Pokémon, but it was a tough one.



























Again, having a full team and keeping them trained up? This feels like it's a novel idea for a lot of you.

























That's what I've been saying!























Ahh, finally in the next city. Time to rest at a Pokémon Center and then start to plan my next...

My next...

....strange...




















I feel....a call....




















...a pull...




















Something good...something necessary...




















Avoid grass...avoid trainers...it's...it's...



















...just a Great Ball? A Great Ball laced with ideas...

...I know you're there. Come out where I can see you!




















You know, if you wanted a Trainer that bad, you could just jump out at them. You can't be doing crap like this, it's no wonder everyone thinks you're creepy. Funny, I was just talking about this earlier.

Well, be careful what you wish for.





















Well, what else do you name a dream-eating tapir?

[[Nilbog Notes:

















Drowzee
#096
Psychic
"Puts enemies to sleep then eats their dreams. Occasionally gets sick from eating bad dreams"

Once more, Drowzee (and especially its evolution) are meme fuel for being creepy both in design and in lore, but they really are solid and dependable Psychic Types and your best bet if you couldn't get an Abra. I've never used one in Red or FireRed, but I've used them in varying capacity in a number of Blue, Yellow,  and LeafGreen playthroughs and one is currently on my final LeafGreen cartridge team.]]

Let's return to the Pokémon Center as carefully as possible. It's time to put my money where my mouth is.



















Eric, you've been a solid partner, but now we must add some REAL Psychic power to the team.





















Baku, let's get you closer in line with the others.





















Buckle up, Baku. Your training begins. You wanted a Trainer, well you've got one now. And you're going to learn to behave.

***

[[Nilbog Notes: As always, our team, and so close yet so far from its final version:













Baku's Insomnia makes perfect sense for a hypnosis-based monster. His Docile nature is one of the Natures that cancels out, this time Defense.
























Tune in next week!]]

No comments:

Post a Comment