Saturday, March 26, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 10: The Star-Spangled Man With A Plan

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:
























Chapter 10: The Star-Spangled Man With A Plan




















Oh look at that.




















Well, no more putting this off. It's time to get myself Badge #3.






















Lightning! That says Electric Type to me. So Raiden, your spot on the team is definitely permanent. And Indy is a Ground type, which is immune to Electric attacks, which should give me a bit of an edge.

Then again, Misty was tough with two of her weaknesses on my team. I should still be cautious.





















There's something rotten here. I'd better hold my nose.



















Hello friend. What can you tell me?





















Right, I forgot about that part. So he's from Unova, eh? AND military. He's probably loud and overbearing at the very least.





















I think you mean Flying Type but sure.





















Oh?




















Locked himself in where?



















Well hell, how paranoid can you get?




















I am a Pokémon Trainer, good sir! There is no better place for me than here!























I tend to do that. Now, about that electrical field?




















Traps?





















And...where are the locks...?

(I hope they aren't where I think it is implied they are.)
























Surge. Now.





















Oh no...




















Army culture is fantastic. -_-






















Thank you. Now, the Lieutenant? 





















Alright, no new info. I guess the answer is obvious.

I gotta start rooting through trash.



















Okay, gotta keep checking until I find two switches next to each other...




















Ooh, here's one! 




















They said that the second lock is right next to the first, and I already checked the cans behind me and to my right...




















Awesome! That was easier than I thought!

[[Nilbog Notes: I was stupidly lucky and I did not expect to get this on my first try. Welcome to the absolute worst gym gimmick in Kanto bar none.

Here's the thing about the switches in Lt. Surge's gym - They are random. Completely random. The first lock shows up randomly. The second lock, in spite of Viola's reasoning, shows up in a random adjacent can - even possibly one you had already checked before finding the first lock. If you pick the wrong can for the second lock, not only does the door reset but the first lock disappears and moves to another RANDOM can. One could easily spend a good 10-15 minutes rooting through every pile of refuse several times over before finding a combination that opens the damn door. I expected Viola's logic to fail and thus set up this discussion after a gag, but miraculously I happened to pick the right one first go. Which, don't get me wrong, has happened to me before more than once on my various Kanto playthroughs, but it's not the majority of outcomes]]



















Ugh he even looks like a blowhard.




















Challenging you.



















You underestimate my power.






















Don't project your PTSD onto me. Just fight.



















You may have elite training, high ranking in the Unovan military, and a certification for Gym Leadership...




















...but in the words of Charlie Brown, I got a ROCK!
























Child's play.
























This might be a problem. If he keeps spamming this evasion move, he'll become nearly impossible to hit. Dig is reliable damage but takes two turns, giving him a free use. I might need to use some less reliable damage but that I can try every turn.






















I....think that was overkill. But good job Indy!



















Well, aren't you fancy! Oh I can't wait until Raiden evolves into one of you!





















You couldn't have had another 10? Ah well, no matter. One more hit with any number will do it. Just strike true, Indy!




















Wow, you actually tried to get off an attack? A weak Normal move vs a Rock. Now I know how Brock from Pewter must feel when people like those Bug Catchers challenge him. 
























I'll say this for you, Lieutenant, you area gracious loser and I respect that.





















Wait, FLY? Where do I get Fly?! Wait, I have nobody with wings anyway.

Yes Axel, we'll be leaving soon. You don't have to pop out and nudge me. Yes, I love you too.























I know just the one, thanks.






















Why are you telling me this? I literally just exploited that weakness.



















Oh you know Surge would have spammed this had Indy been literally any other type.





















Ha ha, think of that one all night?




















There are those eyes again! Hmmm....

I'll fnd them sooner or later...





















Oh, right!




















I have some unfinished business in Cerulean...




















Now gimmie a damn bike, you robber-baron!






















Not on your freaking life.




















[[Nilbog Notes: In these games, you can map an item to the Select button for easy use. The Bicycle is I think most people's defaut choice unless they're doing something extremely specific.]]




















WHEEEEEEE!




















You know, I should see if Bill got his Pokémon back.



















So you did get them back? I tracked down Cesario and he says he mailed them to you.

"Ah yeah! Yeah yeah....all of them, uhhhh none the worse for wear. Well, that is except for an Abra, mmm but that one was a fresh catch and this place is swarming with them so...ah...no big deal."




















"It's...it's where I keep them all now so...ah...nobody can take them."

That's so very very sad.





















[[Nilbog Notes: I will be discussing these at length in a future episode, but this is a good place to get "seen" Pokédex pages of all of them and start to decide which if any you might want in your party.]]



















All right, I guess this way to Rock Tunnel then.





















Charming. An impassible labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks.




















Hey, I am nobody's but mine, lady!






















Axel, even though you leveled up, why don't you stay in the keep burnging these plants to the ground?






















In what possible way?!





















I.
Am.
Aware.































Oh?




















Ooh...




















Interesting. I wouldn't expect either of you to learn a Flying move like this.

Axel, you seem to really want this, but...you're kind of already good against a lot of the types weak to Flying.

Thade, however, needs coverage if he's going to be part of the team for a while longer.





















Not sure whether the Canadian accent makes this less creepy or more creepy...





















Cool! Now, an Onix...I know Raiden's health is low and he's weak to ground, but I have Brick Break and I'm faster. I can one-shot him before he can touch me.




















Damn, that's a hell of a Defense stat...

Avenge your fallen comrade, Drake!




















Times Four Special Weakness.






















Sure...

Now my priority is trying to find a way back to Cerulean's Pokémon Center instead of forward.



















Down seems forward, up seems back...




















Not enough you have to hit on me, but my Pokémon too? (I've seen those "Smash or Pass" videos, I know what you kids are up to)























Yeah, that's what you get! The glorious irony of using a Drowzee to vanquish little pervs. This is Baku's new mission in life.




















I ride, thank you.























Don't try to Jerry me. I INVENTED Jerry-ing. (Okay not really, I'm sure a lot of people raised Beedrll before me, but still)






















Say it again wit me, kids: Diversity is Key.




















Cool! A quick hop to the Pokémon Center and then it's back on course.




















That's never good.




















Okay, Brick Break again!




















Dammit! Sorry, Raiden. I guess today i just not a good day for Pikachus.























Yeah it sounds like you have a condition, buddy.





















Okay, back to the Center AGAIN, and then picking up where I left off before this detour.




















What
























Are you wearing a burlap sack?




















I like them okay. I'd like them more if they had better STAB moves.

What's back in this corner, any goodies?



















I KNOW ROCK TUNNEL GOES TO LAVENDER! I KNOW, I Got it. I got the concept.


























D:<





















Don't try me.

























...sure, whatever.




















I didn't say anything!























T-Thank you?




















Oh look, a hidden item ball in that grass! Wait, why is it humming?




















Aack!




















Sneaky little a-hole.

[[Nilbog Notes:



















Voltorb
#100
Electric
"Usually found in Power Plants. Easily mistaken for a Pokéball, they have zapped many people."

If anybody comes up and tells you that later-gen Pokémon concepts are worse than the originals because so-and-so Pokémon is "just a ___", you can throw this guy in their face. Where it will likely explode because that's kind of their thing.]]




















A Pokémon Center way out here? Again, both a good and bad sign.




















Drake and I are cutting fools.




















Well here it is. Let's check the perimeter. 






















Well, keep training and keep trying.

























IN THE MOUNTAINS? Sorry I had to.






















Now to rest and prepare for the next leg....

***

[[Nilbog Notes: My moves changed so much this episode I'm inspired to put the Moves screen in these team recaps from now on.


















Tune in next week!]]

No comments:

Post a Comment