Saturday, March 12, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 8: My Heart Will Go On

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:


























Chapter 8: My Heart Will Go On



















Okay, so I've got back safely with a new Drowzee. Let me ask around about this town and maybe this supposed boat.





















Maybe?






















Okay, thank you?




















Weird, but might come in handy.

[[Nilbog Notes: The VS Seeker is the worst implementation of an absolutely invaluable new feature.

The standard Pokémon game has a finite amount of Trainer NPCs, which as discussed is your absolute best source of money and experience points. In Generation 1, once you defeated everyone, you were pretty much SOL on getting more cash unless you either constantly repeated the final battles or raised a Meowth/Persian with Pay Day, and the final battles also being the best source of XP for high-level Pokémon. 

Starting in Generation 2, there were certain trainers that you were able to re-challenge at certain intervals, and their teams would even get better to compensate. In Johto and Hoenn games, this was done on a telephone-like device that I will go into more if and when I LP those games, and I think this is generally the best way to go about this. Unova games and afterwards have certain locations with revolving respawning trainers

Kanto and Sinnoh, however, have the VS Seeker. It takes steps to charge, only effects trainers on the screen at time of activation, and it you switch routes or screens, even if you were just right over the line, the trainers reset and you have to activate it again.

Still, it is better in this game than in Sinnoh games for one reason: Trainer placement. If you position yourself just right, certain route can target up to six trainers in one activation. In Sinnoh games, you're lucky if you get more than two at once because trainers are spread so far apart screen-wise.]]




















Love that sea breeze. Let's meet the locals.






















Err...if there's a Pokémon at the end of it, sure?
























Why is there a Magikarp on this?

"That's because it's specially designed to catch only Magikarp!"

...



















Ahh, so I haven't missed it.





















Yeah, it's a growing issue.























I hope you use it responsibly.





















"Pokémon Fan Club?"






















Okayyyy......




















I will not have you slander my Raiden, good sir!




















I've seen better. Right, Raiden?




















That's what I'm afraid of.




















But you can only carry six at once...?




















I've never heard it put like that before but sure...




















Well...




















Oh boy...




















Erm....




















......




















...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....





















...zzzBwuh? Wait, what was that last part?




















No, before that. Something about sleeping?





















You're not going to acknowledge - oh, what's this?





















You're kidding! How did you get this? Surely you aren't rich enough to buy one outright?






















Well, thank you! This might actually have been worth it.

Now to check the next house.




















I do technically...why?




















Well, little girl, even though he's not in my team right now, he's kind of part of my family of Pokémon I've used. I don't think I could part with Agnew. After all, love can touch us one time and last for a lifetime.

But I'll tell you what...there's plenty of Spearow around here. I can catch one for you if you want.

"Oh would you, miss lady?"

Sure thing! I'll even give it whatever nickname you want. Something cute like Breaky or Feathers or...

"Aloysius?"

....sure, kid, whatever you say...

[[Nilbog Notes: I actually forgot to get screenshots of this capture since I pre-caught it during a prior episode, but I thought it would be an opportunity to mention - since I neglected to in Episode 3 and I'm not entirely sure it will come up again in screenshots - but starting from the previous Generation, if you run into a wild Pokémon that you've already caught, a little Pokéball icon comes up next to its name so you know you've caught one. This icon doesn't appear in trainer battles since you cannot steal other people's Pokémon.]]

Alright, I'm back. Let's do this...





























You're welcome, little girl! Now to record this Pokémon by holding it one true time, and then get Axel back.

[[Nilbog Notes:


















Farfetch'd
#083
Normal/Flying
"The sprig of green onions it holds is its weapon. It is used much like a metal sword."

Farfetch'd is the personification of a Japanese proverb that roughly translates into "A duck comes bearing onions", used when something happens that's both surprising and convenient such as a poultry bird arriving carrying its own seasoning. That's the single noteworthy thing about Farfetch'd other than this trade being the only place to get it in Red/Blue and FireRed/LeafGreen.

In-Game trades work like regular trades in that you cannot change traded Pokémon's nicknames. The nicknames given to the four in-game trade exclusive Pokémon in the English localization of Red/Blue and FireRed/LeafGreen are different except for the worst one, and the changed names in FireRed/LeafGreen are a major downgrade. I find "Dux" has way more character than "Ch'Ding", and that's not even the worst change.]]



















Looks like I have to skip this gym for now. I'd like to know where to learn this Cut move.




















Neat. May I have a look?






















I really can't understand how those clowns got such a competent reputation.

Okay, time to get to this ship...

























Not exactly the ship of dreams...




















I'm counting on it.




















So this is the room number on the ticket...




















Oh, I'm sorry, did I get the wrong room? Oh wait, you're staff?




















Oh sure! 




















Hey, if you keep healing my team up every time I come back here you can have the room when I leave.




















Time to scour this ship from stern to bow in search of treasure and training.





















What's this?




















These rich idiots throwing away a perfectly good Hyper Potion. Those are pricey. I should check all the trash cans here...



















Once more, I'll open these doors.





















That's a little much.























Well you dropped the accent quick.




















It's kind of a coastal meadow I guess?





















I guess I shouldn't be surprised.























Dude, I have badges to win. 





















EVERYONE has Pokémon.
























I kind of gathered.




















I...need an adult?

























When I get a rod that will catch anything other than Magikarp I'll give it a try.


































Weird, but okay.

























Wait, I didn't get to talk to the other guy again yet!























Yes, and I wish I got a better rod.



















I considered getting a houseboat once, but I realized the wifi would be awful.






















Move them far across the distance and spaces between us?





















Quick heal and then a visit to my neighbors.




















Ahh I see you, old man. I feel you.
























I try to be. As long as they're nice to me.




















Oh, sorry, I thought this was a free-for-all Trainer party.
























You don't have to tell me twice!



















I'm not...*sigh* hang on.




















Yeah, this lady wants - 





















.....




















....whatever.




















If you say so. I find it claustrophobic.




















Wigglytuff are cute for sure.




















Who doesn't? 
























Even little kids are hitting on me...




















Oh, how fun.



















Oooh, a high-power Fighting Type move! I know exactly who to give this to!




















Yeah, it's pretty obvious that once I find a good Water Type Pokémon, Thade will likely be the one I switch out for that. I want my team to represent the gyms, and I read a couple years back about the Fighting Gym in Saffron getting de-franchised and replaced with a new Gym (Psychic I think? It was a while ago and I only skimmed it on my way to the funnies. The last year my parents bothered to buy an actual newspaper).

Meanwhile, Raiden knowing a Fighting move gives him an edge, since his Electric attacks don't effect Ground Types and a lot of Ground Types are also Rock Types.




















Oh cool!




















Umm.......






















Like....I got both pretty much in my backyard. (well I got the boy Nido but still)





















Beedrill, that's not how that works!




















And they are nothing good at nothing good. Your job should be easy.




















What's down here?



















There better not be Rattata under your toques.





















Jeez, throwing away food now.

























Well, sushi is popular.
























Interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out.






















That tune was to a different song about doing something else with a plant...




















Okay, I can no longer stand this heat, so I will get out of the kitchen.
'




















Fun.





















WHAT?!




















Like a duck bearing onions! New goal: find the Captain!



















Man, you could almost feel like you were flying standing at the front up there.





















We're not even moving. How are you seasick?




















So my time is short...






















What?

























Again, the accent goes away when you lose. And at least several hundred. 




















Good luck!




















Again, we are not moving. So no.
























There are over 100 in Kanto, and more native to other regions. I know that much at least.






















Oooh, that must be that Snorlax I was hearing about. But why did you draw him like a French girl?




















What if I don't want to?


























So I've been told.



















Whatever you gotta do.






















Whatever you have to tell yourself.





















That sounds pretty cool actually.




















Yes, I know this. I'm looking for it.





















Really? HM instead of TM?

[[Nilbog Notes: Field Moves that are required to progress through the game are taught via Hidden Machines or HMs. They cannot be deleted except by a specific NPC (who did not exist in Gen 1) so you are never stuck, and they don't break when used so you can keep your team flexible. They get a bad rap and were removed in Gen 7, but I always loved HMs as a concept. The problem with them was that only a few of the moves were optimal in battle and the amount of them ballooned as the series continued. I wanted HMs to stay in, just fewer and with better power.

Many people play the game with one underlevelled team member whose role was just to learn four HMs for exploration, referred to as an "HM Mule" or more charmingly "HM Slave". I find this concept offensive to my core since all my team members are valuable and I distribute HMs across my team where it makes sense.]]


















I did just get here.
























Yours can get strong too!




















Pokémon that fit my tastes and personality.






















Oooh, that pony stomped Thade flat....






















Gotta heal. But first....




















Yuck.




















Not yet.




















Hmm...




















Maybe that's why we're still here. I have a bigger window than I thought...





















He must be up this way. 



















Ugh, YOU'RE here. Eh, it's nothing I fear.





















I got a ticket from Bill, who I helped return to humanity. Now give me back the Pokémon you stole from him!

"Oh, I mailed them back after my Pokédex pages were complete. For rare Pokémon they were pretty weak."

That's...that's almost worse.






















That's what I've been doing. You think you're king of the world or something? I'll put you in your place again!























Indy, come on. This is important.





















Yes! And after the accuracy debuff! Good job, Indy!






















Nice!
























I hope there's an Electric Gym because Raiden is the best counter for your Tortle.






















Ugh, still a sliver of health left and he's faster. I hate to do this, but....





















See if Axel's faster.





















Same idea? It uses Disable.























Kadabra has high Special Defense, but lower Defense. So let's see if a Scratch will do more than Ember.





















Just one left. Thade's still low though. Let's see if I can get an Ember off...






















B-E-A-utiful






















Are you though? Truly?



















Me too.



















Tactful as ever.






















Near, far, wherever you are, I believe in my heart that you're a douchenozzle and I will surpass you yet. I'll never let go.




















Now to see the Captain. Hope the ship doesn't go down with him...




















Buddy? You okay?




















Err....look, this might seem weird, but my mom used to do this for me...





















Yeah, you wouldn't believe it, but it works. So....Captain, sir, I need to ask you something...
























Thank you so very much!

























Fare well and sail true, Captain!

Now, one last trash can to check for discarded goodies...




















....I don't know what I expected...


















So, who can learn this?





















Axel looks eager, but Drake looks a bit scared. I guess it makes sense for a plant to be a bit nervous by a move that cuts down trees....




















....which is why he should learn it. He won't stay forever this way if he is the one in control of the cutting rather than someone else who could potentially do it to him.

One last stop to the room to heal and pass it on, then I'm out of here.






















Blah blah blah obligatory iceberg reference blah blah.

***


[[Nilbog Notes: Our team at the end of this Titanic-Sized Episode:


























Tune in next week!]]

No comments:

Post a Comment