Saturday, April 30, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 15: Nip It In the Bud, They Say

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:


























Chapter 15: Nip It In The Bud, They Say



















This looks like the only way I can get to that Gym...





















There it is.





















Yes, I remember my cheerleader dude telling me this was a Grass gym. I've got this in the bag.




















There's grass all around the outisde here. touch it instead.



















Woof, I'm going to start getty dizzy from the strong scents in here. Also it's weird not to see that guy standing here.






















Are you saying i'm not a real lady? Can't tell if you're being classist or implying a worse bigotry.

[[Nilbog Notes: It's almost certainly meant by the writer to refer to the female player as "not feminine enough", given the line to the male player is "Only ladies are allowed in here". Transphobia and enbyphobia aren't exactly a stretch for someone with this kind of attitude. Thus ends the PSA.]]
























Did you see the heat Axel and I just brought?




















That happens when your friend their kicks out anyone who doesn't conform to a harmful stereotype of femininity.


























They are also resistant to Electric-types but as you can see Raiden one-shotted you anyway.




















Drake's been no easier or harder than the rest of my team, to be honest.


























No, that was some old guy. I told him off.























I know, I expected to need to switch Indy out, but she came through with those high numbered Magnitudes.




















Just here for a badge.

A quick trip to the Pokémon Center to undo these status effects on my team, and now we're gonna cut our way in.





















Not all of them have been "nice", and I've been crushing it with even disadvantaged team members.



























That's what they all say.





















Or Flying, or - given most of these are part Poison - Psychic. Too bad for you.
























Gym Leaders tend to be, I noticed.

























That's....wow, a lot to unpack there. Jeez.




















Yes it is...uhh...you okay?




















...






















Yes, I got that as I beat all the trainers here.




















I mean, no offense, it is pretty in here and all, but why else would I be here Pokéball in hand?




















We'll see.





















We can give Thade a little bit of glory and level him up.
























Eh, Fighting resists Poison. He'll be fi-




















DAMMIT! I forgot, it's the other way around. Poison resists Fighting. Rookie mistake...

Okay, no more playing around.




















Let's burn this place to the GROUND!!!!
























Crit happens
























Burn, baby! Burn!





















I haven't used Drake much since he evolved, is he this bulky?























You put up more of a fight than I expected.






















Strength? Another HM to look for...
























And I know just who to give it to...






















Aaaaand my opinion of you just went down a peg.



















Not happy about the 5 PP, but 60 base power is very much better than Absorb's 20.




















Have fun with that, Drake!

Now I should talk to my cheerleader guy about my win.





















....I hope you get some help by the time I go to the next Gym...




















Well, before I hit Pokémon Tower, let's see if I can venture this way...




















Yeah, I had a feeling. There is a tree I can cut over there though...




















Wait, what kind of bird is that that ran into the grass?




















Oh weird...




















The extreme always seems to make an impression.

[[Nilbog Notes:






























Doduo
#084
Normal/Flying
"A bird that makes up for its poor flying with its fast foot speed. Leaves giant footprints"

Doduo (and its evolution) are probably my favorite Normal/Flying basic bird Pokémon. They have decent stats for their typing, and have access to the powerful Tri-Attack move. Plus they're basically multi-headed roadrunners.]]



















What's all this then?


























Ooookay then. What's in here?




















T-thank you?



















Well this is cute...




















Wait a minute, are you...






















Oh wow, thanks, Miss...errr....Miss.




















I will try. And my lips are sealed. Too bad I don't have anyone to use this on.

Axel, why are you tugging on me? You want this HM? You can't use it though. You seem very insistent...I guess you can hold onto it for now if it'll make you happy.

Okay, next stop...




















I've got a good selection of drinks, let's se if I can bribe this Saffron guardsman. I got water, I got soda, and I got lemonade. Any one of them would do well enough for dehydration...




















....what






















How....





















....disgusting....

[[Nilbog Notes: Rant time. I promised it, and here it is.

While I do think this is a mechanically better game than the originals and I do think it's the best place for new players to start, this is for me the absolute worst and most infuriating change made in these remakes.

In the original Red and Blue, in order to get into Saffron you had to give this guard one of the drinks from the vending machines on the roof of the Celadon Department Store. It rewarded checking everything, clued you into the cheap but potent drinks, and it was very clever.

If it erred, it erred in that it was kind of easy to miss, and it would be easy for people with no social life and/or access to a strategy guide to get stuck and unable to progress. And even if you added more NPC dialogue pointing you to the machines, on the tiny chance if you somehow had no money left, you'd be sol. So on that level, I understand and even encourage making a specific free drink a key item and one that's a little easier to find.

But here's the thing. They kept the fact that the guards were thirsty. They kept the fact that the guard downs the drink to rehydrate himself. It wasn't just a look for a flavor, it was a need of a refreshing liquid.

So why in the hell would you make the key drink HOT #%@!ING TEA?!?!?!

Who the HELL guzzles down HOT tea (and remember, it is described as tongue-scaldingly hot) when your throat is that dry?! You would want water! While Soda and Lemonade might not be great for hydration due to the sugars, they are still refreshing in the moment! Hell, even though I find tea in general disgusting, I would have been fine if it was iced tea! But no, no it's HOT GODDAMN TEA! And you can't even use the excuse that it cools as you walk with it and adventure, because you can take it right to the guard as soon as you get it from the old lady in the Celadon Mansion! 

And I know - I KNOW tea is a very important part of many East Asian cultures. I understand that. And I understand many teas have health benefits over a lot of other drinks. But I would never, never ever EVER reach for a HOT BEVERAGE when I am thirsty enough to gulp down a whole bottle, and I don't know anyone who would! It's a stupid change and it takes me right out of the setting. Rodents that shoot lightning bolts out of their cheeks are more believable than a dehydrated guard choosing to burn their throat by trying to quench their thirst with hot tea.

/rant. MOVING ON.]]




















Alright, into this bustling city. Wait.......




















But I beat you guys!





















Boss? Ohhh, Giovanni, you ass! This is where you ran off to?
























Hmm...seems the perfect place for a new base. I don't think I can get by him right now without the whole town falling on me, but I'll keep checking back...






















Not if we have anything to say about it, right team?




















Hmm....was going to check all these places out later when I had an answer to these Rockets, but this place is calling to me.


























Well, this is certainly an upgrade to Confusion. I know Baku would probably learn this eventually anyway, but there's no harm in giving him an early advantage.





















I can see the steam....




















Alright, ghostygoos. The day of reckoning is nearly upon thee...

***

[[Nilbog Notes: A slightly shorter episode this week, but with the show going on and weekday rehearsals mostly over I'll have some time to bring some larger episodes soon. Here's the team:


















Tune in next week!]]



No comments:

Post a Comment