Sunday, June 19, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 22: Unlimited Power

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:


























Chapter 22: Unlimited Power



















With the Marshbadge claimed, there's one Gym I passed that I haven't beaten yet. Axel, to Fuschia!























Poison? Looks like another Baku sweeper, and with Indy as a backup.





















Yo! Did you fly down here too?






















This is glass. This is just dirty glass with handprints all over it.

[[Nilbog Notes: Admittedly it's a little harder to see here in the Gen 3 remakes than in the original Gen 1, but if you look close enough you can easily see the impassible walls are the tiles with white dots in each corner.]]





















Why is a juggler in a ninja place?




















THIS IS NOT A POISON TYPE!




















Neither is this.





















Come to think of it, Baku, DID have the opportunity to learn Poison Gas but I nixed it because it wasn't great for his movepool. But that still doesn't explain the Kadabra.




















Not the only one, at least.




















It can be.




















Oh will you now?
























My brother in Dialga, your "strategy" was to throw a Pokémon out that's a higher level than everything else in here.





















So you're a LARPer.



























Is there intended to be any actual NINJAS in this Ninja Dojo?






















Apparently not. Also, why do you have a lolipop?




















At least you HAVE a Poison Type in a Poison Gym.























You guys would all make terrible assassins.





















Again, it's just dirty glass panes. At least get some Windex.

























Don't have to look that closely, thanks.





















Asking me about my bloodline is pretty sus, not gonna lie.

























I choose I'm not 14 years old. (I mean barely, but still)

Okay, let's talk to this guy.






















Dude, you're all LARPers. And not the cool kind.





















That's another thing. Half your 'desciples' don't even HAVE any Poison Types!





















All right, let's make this quick.





















Huh, you actually tanked a Psychic. Good job, tat was better than Sabrina.




















And boom goes the dynamite.
























Flawless victory.





















Also, if you were a REAL Ninja, you'd be wearing navy blue, not black. Black came from classic Japanese theatre were Ninja characters would be played by the black-wearing stagehands you were supposed to ignore as an audience member, making the reveal that much more dramatic.

Bet you thought I didn't know that.





















Wait, Surf? OUTSIDE of battle?! Right, it WAS an HM! I totally forgot about that due to being impressed with how much Binks wrecks face with it.


























Oooh, now THAT'S a move!





















That is a major upgrade to PoisonPowder! And hey, look at that, Drake pulls double duty in Gym representation!

Okay, now that Surf is a thing I can use, there's one place I need to go. But first...




















I haven't caught anything wild outside of the Safari Zone in far too long and I want to be ready.





















Finally, I can check this place out...
























Hup!



















Ooh, Binks, I wasn't sure you'd be able to carry me but you fit nicely.

[[Nilbog Notes: Not entirely sure what the Gen 3 Surf Sprite is supposed to represent, but it doesn't fit nearly as many Water Type body shapes as it thinks it does.]]





















Nearly there - OW! Something zapped my leg!




















Oh dear...





















Something about him reminds me of the Martians from that one really old book by Welles.

[[Nilbog Notes:





























Tentacool
#072
Water/Poison
"Drifts in shallow seas. Anglers who hook them by accident are often punished by its stinging acid."


 I think a lot of people automatically assume these are squid/octopus Pokémon even though it's clear from more than a cursory glance at their design and lore that they are based on jellyfish and similar cratures. There is also a very alien look about them. They are often looked at as "The Zubat of the Sea" due to encounter rates while surfing on sea routes tend to favor them heavily if not exclusively. That said, in what I'm sure you've all sensed as a trend, this can grow into a very powerful fighter if given a chance. Really, Gen 1 has too many really good Water types.]]



















Okay, bowl cut, what's the deal? I feel strong emotions every time I'm within sight of this place.





















I'm sure. Can you let me in?




















I'm special!





















Yeah? I'm working on it!



















Listen, you cretin! I don't care what kind of 'great achievement' you think I need to make! I'm going to-
















GoInG tO lEaVe ThIs PlAcE iN pEaCe aNd tElL oThEr HuMaNs To KeEp OuT hAvE a NiCe DaY





















Huh...that was...weird....that didn't sound anything like me....I've got goosebumps....

...I must investigate further another time...




















Well there's plenty in there, so...





















Perfect opportunity to try this out as Grass vs Grass and Bug is not good.






















That Bug had dead freaking eyes...






















They will always regrow.

Okay, then, I don't feel like going back to Mt. Moon, so where else can we go now that the seas are at our command?




















Oh that's right! A little river near Rock Tunnel!



















Let's see what's around this riverbend.






















Hello? What's this?

Hey there, what is this place?





















That's not....ugh fine. You asked for it.
























Have fun continuing to be no help.




















Hmmm....looks abandoned though there's definitely a hum of power making my hairs stand on end (though not as much as that...incident...in Cerulean just now...seriously, what was that?

Welp, gonna explore something today at any rate.





















Jeez, this place looks dangerous, wat with the whirring machines and pieces of rubble, and live wirse, and bits of metal all around and...coming...right...at...me.....






















I probably shouldn't have named the Butterfree "Eric", since there might be some confusion with the Master of Magnetism

[[Nilbog Notes:




























Magnemite
#081
Electric/Steel (Electric in Gen 1)
"Uses anti-gravity to stay suspended. Appears without warning and uses Thunder Wave and similar moves"

These buggers gained the Steel Type in Gen 2 which made it harder for most types to deal with them, but real easy for Fire and Fighting and Ground became doubly happy. I was never a fan personally, but they seem popular.]]



















Looks like the workers were in a hurry to leave and left a bunch of stuff. Well, I'm not above a little scavenging, let's see what we can find.





















Lot's of twists and turns here.





















Nice! Now there's....more metal...






















Freakin' Magneton, how do they work?

[[Nilbog Notes:
























Magneton
#082
Electric/Steel (Electric in Gen 1)
Evolves from Magnemite at Level 30
"Formed by several Magnemites linked together. They frequently appear when sunspots flair up"

Magnemite x3. 'Nuff said.]]

Okay, let's just grab this item down here next...



















Wha?




















Awww crap apples, these things explode! Quick, Drake!





















Phew!




















Really diffused that situation...

[[Nilbog Notes:






























Electrode
#101
Electric
Evolves from Voltorb at Level 30
"It stores electric energy under very high pressure. It often explodes under little or no provocation."

I hate Self-Destruct. I hate Explosion. I was so lucky here to avoid it. I do find it interesting that these are the only non-rare Pokémon that have overworld encounters.]]




















[[Nilbog Notes: Even though I don't show it, there are an abundance of Pikachu and Voltorb here, the only other place you can catch either if you missed them in Viridian Forest and Route 10 respectively]]




















Claw marks? What could dig such huge raking claw marks into these walls...




















Too inaccurate to use, but good to have.





















Try this side room first...





















ACK! Another Electrode! Axel, help!




















Good job, buddy.





















Some of this drywall looks blasted through, and not by any of the Pokémon I've been finding.





















GUHH What's that?!




















He's so ugly, and yet... I can't help but be charmed.





















I dunno, I look at him and expect to hear Bobcat's voice come out of that mug.

[[Nilbog Notes:






























Electabuzz
#125
Electric
Evolves from Elekid at Level 30
"Normally found near power plants, they can wander away and cause major blackouts in cities."

A Red/FireRed exclusive, with Magmar being the Blue/LeafGreen counterpart. An odd, rare Pokédex filler that got much more love in later generations. I used to think it was ugly and unappealing, but it's kind grown on me in the years since.]]



















Okay, I think I'm at the back of the building. One more room to look into and then - 





















(oh my gosh it's huge...it might be one of those Winged Mirages that bird keepeer was talking about! My hair is getting staticy just looking at it...let's proceed carefully.............)




















Hi, guyyyyyyyyyyyyy................





















Dang, it's just like Protect.




















Step one, disable the bird...




















Step two, make it harder to hit us.




















Owww....




















Okay, not great, but at least they're zapped too.




















Step three, this should do neutral damage so good to weaken but not vanquish.




















Okay, will this do it?




















Broke free. Sad, but not unexpected.

I try about ten more balls and then...




















Now that was a challenge.




















I know it might seem sacrilegious to some, but their head feathers totally look like Harpo Marx's hair and I consider it an honor!

[[Nilbog Notes:


























Zapdos
#145
Electric/Flying
"A legendary bird Pokémon that is said to appear from clouds while dropping enormous lightning bolts"

The second of the Legendary Bird Trio (as evidenced by its name and the fact that while you can go to the Power Plant first it IS an optional dungeon). It was always the one I liked the least of the three, but it is an impressive sight nontheless. While we won't be using them in this playthrough, adding any of these birds to your team is a major boon especially if you're struggling.]]



















One last treasure. Then this room here?




















Oh wait...




















It's just the emergency exit.

Man, Oak is gonna be so surprised when he goes to study my box and Harpo jumps out at him.

Anyway, I think that's all the rivers I can think of to explore. There's only a single route forward open to us now.


















So, back to Fuschia one more time, so we can set sail...

***

[[Nilbog Notes: As always, here's the team:


















Barring unforseen circumstances, tune in next week!]]

No comments:

Post a Comment