Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WW: Change in Leadership

So I got into a discussion with a co-worker recently about the factions in WoW. While I actively play both sides, I have always felt more sympathy for the Horde because they seem to be just trying to scratch out a living while the Alliance feels actively racist in that if something needs to be killed, it's because of what they are more than what they're doing.

My co-worker disagreed, citing that she tried to play Horde, but found them just as barbaric as I found the Alliance. I said that she had misunderstood, and (with the possible exception of the Forsaken), the Horde wasn't like that.

What I realized later, of course, is that Thrall's Horde isn't like that.

Garrosh's Horde on the other hand...




I have never liked Garrosh Hellscream.

To put this in perspective, I have also never liked Varian Wrynn. I find Wrynn generally racist, hotheaded, and ego-tripping. I want to punch him whenever I enter Stormwind Keep.

However, compared to Garrosh Hellscream, Varian Wrynn seems fair, honorable, and even likable.

At least I will concede that Varian has a few rare moments where he did the right thing despite himself. Only once have I ever seen Garrosh have the right reaction, and even then you can debate on whether or not it would have been better to jail the offender rather than throw him off Stonetalon Mountains.

Garrosh antagonizes everyone. The nobler races are less inclined to help him and the problem children (the Forsaken and the Goblins) are getting worse. They all have good in them, but they needed someone like Thrall to set an example and strive for peace even when the Alliance hasn't.

He's even worse in the Pandaria Beta. While Garrosh and Varian give the same bigoted speech to new Pandaren about "this is the side you chose and the other is your enemy", Varian's at least honorable enough to challenge you to single combat to test your skills. Garrosh dumps you into an arena and throws mooks at you.

Garrosh needs to go. Thankfully, this appears to be the case in Pandaria.

The plan is that the final content patch for Pandaria will include a bipartisan raid on Orgrimmar with the express purpose of battling and dethroning Garrosh.

I don't really do raids, but you can bet your boots my Troll Shaman, Feyd, will be in the front lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment