Let's meet the combatants:
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
Zipping around the forest at supersonic speeds, Sonic finds he must save his homeland and all his friends when evil scientist Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik rolls in and starts turning the local wildlife into mindless cyborgs. Sonic and his allies use blinding speed, the force of momentum, and a certain amount of attitude to break the robotic shells and search for the legendary Chaos Emeralds before Robotnik can get his hands on them.
* Blindingly fast
* When curled into a ball, can break through almost anything
* Dedicated to his friends and his environment
* Can be quite arrogant
* Has a weakness for chili dogs
* Some of his fanbase can be a bit...extreme
Formerly the carefree Lea of Radient Garden, Axel is the Nobody created during the evil Xehanort's heart-separating experiments. Without his heart, Axel cares only about helping the rest of his Organization XIII collect hearts to bring theirs back - that is until the XIII member, Roxas, reminds him just what it means to have a true friend.
* A gifted Pyromancer
* Deadly accurate with his chakrams
* Say what you will about the Organization, but they certainly have style
* Skilled at orchestrating double-or even triple-crosses; You don't know if he's on anybody's side until his resurrection brings him back to the good
* The biology surrounding Nobodies (and Heartless as well) is confusing at best, and most of what we know has been falsely reported
* His brotherly affection and loyalty for Roxas is often mistaken for something more
We've got another classic game character against a more modern one. This is even more difficult for me since Sonic was my first game and Axel part of one of my most influential. Sonic's gone through dozens of reboots and revisits, while Kingdom Hearts keeps getting more and more complicated (only now are things coming together and beginning to make sense). Yet at their core, they both deserve to remain in the pantheon of memorable video game characters. Plus, they both have a sarcastic charm about them.
As always, make sure you're viewing the WEB version of the site and vote in the poll on the right-hand side of the screen. Poll closes Friday, and results posted on Saturday. Feel free to discuss your pick in the comments below