Saturday, April 9, 2022

Let's Play Pokémon FireRed Chapter 12: 3Spoopy5Me

Previously on Pokémon FireRed:























Chapter 12: 3Spoopy5Me



















So this is Lavender Town, eh? What's the scoop over here?





















Oh, I forgot about them. Frankly, I'm surprised they get anything done given how easy they are to run off.





















That's kind of morbid. And cruel. Those poor Cubone.





















Wait wait wait.

Wait.

WAIT.

wait

Team Rocket. Those bumbling idiots. They actually MURDERED a Pokémon?!?!?

And nobody is doing anything to stop them.

Team Rocket was on my crap list before, but now you guys have moved to the top. Even Cesario would never kill a Pokémon....I think....



















It really is a cute little town.




















Again, Ghost-types or like actual spirits of dead people?




















Wait, this killing isn't an isolated incident?





















Silph...They make good products, but corporations are never to be trusted.




















What's a 'volunteer Pokémon house'?





















Aww, that's nice. Sad, but nice.



















I don't know who Mr. Fuji is.




















Yeah they a - wait a minute!



















This platypus...its eyes are like the ones I keep seeing in the pond outside Vermilion...

They haunt me....




















Oh?





















That's so sweet.





















Darn it. Well, it was worth a shot.



















What's going on in these two?























That Cubone is freaking adorable, and the more I hear this story, the more enraged I am at Team Rocket.

What's in this next house?





















Not today, but thank you!

[[Nilbog Notes: The Name Rater is the NPC which allows you to change the nicknames of your Pokémon. Traded Pokémon cannot have their names changed. Which has the unintended effect of the Name Rater always thinking your nicknames are subpar and other trainers' are exquisite.]]



















Other than Ghost Type Pokémon, no.I've seen no evidence that suggests it.





















Nice try, kid.




















Let's go investigate.






















Pokémon lifespans can be quite longer than most animals. Sometimes longer than most people due to the magical energies inherent to them. But they are still mortal.





















I'm sorry, man.




















Among other things, absolutely.




















Thank you.




















I...don't know how to answer that. I'm sorry for your loss.





















Ghost-Type Pokémon no doubt. I've seen what species like Gengars can do while studying classic battles. They're world-class trolls.



















Okay, some tastefully arranged gravestones and memorials, and...




















...you've got to be &#@%ing kidding...



































Cesario, we're in a graveyard for crying out loud!



















Gonna switch things up a bit.























Man, Thunderbolt can be pretty when it hits.






















That's what would have happened had I sent Axel out against Brock back when he was a Charmander.




















Usually the Wartortle is Raiden's to defeat, but I wanted to see what Drake could do.





















Not as much as I'd like apparently. I mean, he does need a better Grass move. Absorb only has a base power of 20.






















OWW! At least this Thunderbolt should take him out!




















....how did that not take him out? Raiden is in deep doo...
























Raiden avenged. Next time, Raiden is the only one allowed to fight Wartortle.



















Boil those eggs!






















Picked this up, may as well use it.






















Okay, psychic v psychic...






















Nobody wins with a headbutt...





















Damn....attrition time it is then...

























I think I'm more confused than either of them.






















Sure you did.

"No really, I was in mourning over my old Raticate who never recovered after our meeting on the S.S. Anne..."

Wait...wait, what, really?

"HA! Nope! I just boxed that clown because he was weak, and I found some stronger guys. You should have seen the look on your face though!"

Okay, I take it back. You are #1 on my crap list forever and always...





















Because there's a serious poaching operation going on that needs stopping. Do you not listen to anyone, you putz?!




















UNLIKE?!?!?





















Flames. Flames...on the side of my face...




















Eh, I'll give it a shot.




















Misty up here. What's that?





















I don't need to see it to catch it. Baku, put it to sleep.






















FINE! I'll come back with a Silph Scope. Jeez!




















Now where the hell do you find a Silph Scope?

Going South will jut bring me to the Snorlax that was blocking the path from Vermilion. So I guess I head West.




















About to get kicked in the face by a tapir and a monkey?
























You started it.





















I have a few of each, maybe I can test it later.



















Don't censor yourself for me. You call yourself a 'Rambling, Gambling Dude' in reality, don't you?























You certainly did, right Baku?




















Ooh, you're taking your big chance!
























Baku, I've taught you well enough to use those powers for good, right? Yeah, I trust you. Look at that face. Is that not a face you can trust?

[[Nilbog Notes:
















Hypno
#097
Psychic
Evolves from Drowzee at Level 26
"When it locks eyes with an enemy, it will use a mix of Psi moves like Hypnosis and Confusion"

Hypno is probably the Generation 1 Pokémon with the biggest bad reputation in the game, being cast as a sort of a Pied Piper figure and other similarly related nasty connotations. And yeah, his expression doesn't exactly dissuade folks from being creeped out by it. But it is a dependable Pokémon that I am rather fond of in spite of how it is seen by the public]]



.
















I misheard 'peanuts' at first...



















It's almost like just a little garden. I feel like we've been getting less and less grass as we've been going on.




















What's that barking noise?




















Puppy!





















Seems like a doggy-ish name plus he's stripey. Though since Axel is already a Fire Type and Cesario is using one of these, I don't feel as though I've hit the jackpot.

[[Nilbog Notes:
















Growlithe
#098
Fire
"Very protective of its territory. It will bark and bite to repel intruders from its space"

A version exclusive to Red and FireRed. An extremely popular Fire Type, though I always found it a bit overrated compared to its opposite-version counterpart Vulpix. Interestingly, Growlithe/Vulpix are the first catchable Fire Types you encounter in the entire game if you didn't pick Charmander. Put a pin in that.]]



















Oh I have a strategy.




















My strategy is my fighting monkey doesn't do well against your poison globs so I'm taking my newly-evolved Hypno for a spin.
























Lie down before you hurt yourself.




















We?





















Wait, two on one? That's against Indigo League Regulations!

Eurgh....I have to improvise....




















This is gonna be a little weird, guys. Axel, try to blind the Clefairy so Thade can knock out the Jigglypuff with little threat.






















Good job!
























That was....actually kinda fun! We should develop this battling style...

[[Nilbog Notes: Double Battles were the brand new game-changing mechanic feature for the Generation 3 games and it was a huge success, so huge that each successive game has added more and more of them and expanded on the premise. I've even heard that the ultra-crazy competitive scene prefers Doubles. Since there were Twin trainers in Red and Blue, they were retrofitted to be Double Battles in FireRed and LeafGreen in addition to some new trainer couples.]]



















An odd configuration....y'all juvenile delinquents?




















Cool...
























We are on polar opposite ends of this subject.























Practice makes perfect.

































Really? From this end too? How am I going to proceed...




















While I agree, this is a little much...

























....sure.




















That's kind of what I was thinking, yeah.




























That's really weird. Blocked from all directions by thirsty guards. I'll have to see if there's anything I can do about that.



















Excuse me, you're the one riding a motorcycle in a walking path.
























Oh not, JUST because of this.




















Sorry, but I'm a Trainer, not a mechanic.

























Maybe not take it off-road next time.



















So how do I get through...




















I have no time for games.























Ooh, that's what the guy in Cerulean wants! I should definitely keep my eye out...





















It happens.

So what's this building?




















Wait, Celadon? REALLY?! Ooooooooh, that's one of the places I wanted to go the most! I am so excited!




















Awful. I went in expecting potions and just got stupid math.


























I believe it.

Now...




















No! I've never been, but I've always wanted to go!






















Ugh noooo.....no, I'm going to ignore that for now. Nothing bringing down my excitement!





















Barely even a route. Anyway...





















First steps into the big city! First the center, then we explore!


***

[[Nilbog Notes: The Team:


















Tune in next week!
]]

No comments:

Post a Comment