Monday, August 20, 2012

MM: Skylanders Grades Round 2 + Vintage Jar Jar

I've finally got around to grading my newest batch of Skylanders. However, before I give you those grades I've been promising for nearly a month, I want to talk a little bit about the Vintage Jar Jar Binks.



Now, my good friend over at The Phantom Menace Holiday already gave a decent review of this figure, but I wanted to throw in my two cents now that it's in my hand. All in all, I absolutely love this figure. I love the expression, I love the softgood skirt-thing (I always though he had a jacket tied around his waist, and now I don't know what to think), and I love that I finally have a Jar Jar with a good range of movement.

The only downsides as I see it are A) the weird paint job on the arms that doesn't line up unless his elbows are facing inward, and B) no hinge joint on the legs, meaning it will be difficult to put him on a Kaadu or make him to slapstick splits.

Also, I was a little disappointed that he came not in the classic Vintage black and silver card, but the "rejected" blue card from ComiCon. However, at least I can say I got an obvious ComiCon exclusive without having to actually go there (watch, now they'll make both versions available for wide release).

I did end up paying double the retail price, but hey: It's Jar Jar. It was worth it just to prove once more that he's worth it.

Alright the moment you've all (Some? None of you? Tough) been waiting for: NEW SKYLANDERS GRADES!

I was actually lucky to get a set of speedsters: They all have blazing attack speeds and all but one have good base speeds. Listed in the order I levelled them.
(once more: O = Outstanding, E = Exceeds Expectations, A = Acceptable, P = Poor, D = Dreadful, T = Troll)

Whirlwind             [Air]
Attack Speed: E
Attack Power: P
Attack Style: O
Movement Speed: E
Jump Ability: E
Health: P

Like Dino-Rang, Whirlwind seems kind of "meh" on paper, but she kills people with Rainbows of DOOOOOOOM! So that helps. She's actually a pretty solid fighter once you learn Rainbow Singularity.

Wrecking Ball          [Magic]
Attack Speed: O
Attack Power: O
Attack Style: E
Movement Speed: O
Jump Ability: A
Health: P

Holy crap on a cracker! This guy has a damage average of over 20, which exceeds Dark Spyro's previous record! Plus, he's wicked fast and a cutie. His only downsides are an average (at best) jump and relatively poor health. Also, his Attack Style goes down a grade because he never sits still and thus makes me kind of dizzy. Still, for the one I was least excited about getting, he's certainly one of the best in my arsenal.

Terrafin                [Earth]
Attack Speed: O
Attack Power: E
Attack Style: E
Movement Speed: E
Jump Ability: E
Health: E

Candygram! Despite having no grades below "Exceeds Expectations", I don't have as much fun playing as Terrafin. Honestly, with his main attack just a series of punches, he'd have gotten a lower Attack Style grade were it not for his burrowing move.

Sunburn             [Fire]
Attack Speed: O
Attack Power: A
Attack Style: E
Movement Speed: E
Jump Ability: E
Health: E

Teleport spam and a neverending flamethrower. No wonder this set is rare (he's exclusive with a bonus level pack, like Terrafin). Plus, the statue is one of the more impressive sculpts in the line, exceeded only by Warnado and...

Camo                [Life]
Attack Speed: O
Attack Power: O
Attack Style: E
Movement Speed: D
Jump Ability: A
Health: E

Another "rare" in the same release as Warnado, and one can easily see why. With a damage average just higher than Dark Spyro and just lower than Wrecking Ball, plus the ability to deal that damage quickly and efficiently, Camo is a beast. His one real downfall is his horrible movement speed.

See you on Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the JJB! I'm totally with you on the "skirt", I've always thought it was a jacket of some sort, too...Now I'm actually really curious as to what it's supposed to be!
    And as far as both versions being widely available...wellllll:

    http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=10399/#details

    The good news is that you now have the vintage carded JJB to hunt down! I bought a second one with the intention of opening it, but he looks so great on that black and silver...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *facepalm* But I can't afford more than one. I technically wouldn't have afforded this one if it weren't for birthday money.

      You know what? It doesn't matter. Yes, I like the black and silver better. But the blue one has "STAR WARS" in HUGE letters, so I can say yes - JJB IS Star Wars!

      Delete