Let's meet the combatants:
GANDALF THE GREY
A member of the Istari, Gandalf (also known as Mithrandir, Stormcrow, and several other names of various reputation) took special pride in defending the free peoples of Middle-Earth and had a fondness for beings with hidden depths most others would not notice. Was reincarnated as Gandalf the White after smiting the Balrog known as Durin's Bane.
* A powerful wizard
* Handy with a sword
* Capable of seeing the best of others, even if they can't see it themselves
* Limited in how directly he can intervene in worldwide threats
* As he hopes for the best, he sometimes fails to expect the worst
* His love of the halflings' leaf has clearly slowed his mind
Formerly a River Hobbit, Sméagol of the Stoor Strain became the creature known as Gollum after stealing the One Ring of Power from his cousin Déagol (after murdering him for it) and spending the next 500 years in a cave under the Misty Mountains. Is extremely fond of fish and riddles. Hates thieves forever (especially Bagginses).
* Is extremely agile and strong for such an emaciated being
* Excellent night vision
* Very clever
* Suffers from severe addiction to the Ring and will do anything for a fix
* Also suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder
* Willing to eat almost anything, including sentient beings
While Gandalf set in motion many of the quests that would end the reigns of various dark powers, it was Gollum's addiction to the Ring that ironically allowed it to be destroyed in the end. Even the Wizard notes the resiliance of Hobbits (even wraith-like proto-ones).
*UPDATE*: Apparently I accidentally set up two polls. I have removed the other one, but will still be counting the votes (except my own double-vote I used for testing). With that said: Gandalf gets 3 additional votes, and Gollum gets 2