Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Listmas 2021: Music

Welp, as long as I get twelve of these done by Christmas, I'll consider any schedule slippage a mulligan.

Anyway, this one is kind of a toughie since it's been so difficult for me to just stop and listen to music lately. Still, here is what I have for my Music Lists.

A * indicates a potential point of contention and/or future change 


Top 11 Favorite Songs NOT By Favorite Artists

1. Layla (Derek and the Dominoes)
2. The Gremlin Rag (Jerry Goldsmith)*
3. Land of Confusion (Genesis)
4. Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears)
5. Edge of Seventeen (Stevie Nicks)
6. Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
7. People are Strange (The Doors)
8. Davy Jones (Hans Zimmer)
9. Paint it Black (The Rolling Stones)
10. Hero (Chad Kroeger and Josey Scott) 
11. Night on Bald Mountain (Modest Mossorgsky)

Top 5 Favorite Albums NOT By Favorite Artists
1. The Wall (Pink Floyd)
2. Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morrisette)
3. Fallen (Evenescence)
4. Voices of Babylon (The Outfield)
5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park Playstation/Sega Saturn Soundtrack (Micheal Giacchino)

Top 5 Favorite Non-Disney Musicals
1. The Phantom of the Opera
2. Little Shop of Horrors
3. Avenue Q
4. Chicago
5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street*


TOP 11 BANDS/MUSICAL ARTISTS OF ALL TIME

My Criteria: To count as a favorite, a band or artist needs to have 
A) Had a profound impact on my development as a person
B) Released at least four albums which I both own and still enjoy the majority of.

11. ??????
So funny thing...I don't actually have an 11th artist that fits both the above criteria...yet. However, in the coming years I wish to reevaluate the following candidates for the future:
* The Monkees
* Howard Shore
* Jerry Goldsmith
* Billy Joel
* Nobuo Uematsu

10. John Williams
Favorite Album: Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace Original Motion Picture Score.
Top 3 Songs:
* Battle of the Heroes/Duel of the Fates (tie)
* Superman March
* Journey to the Island

9. Lady Gaga
Favorite Album: The Fame Monster
Top 3 Songs:
* Applause
* Speechless
* Paparazzi

8. Alice Cooper (70s era only)
Favorite Album: Love It To Death
Top 3 Songs:
* Blue Turk
* The Ballad of Dwight Frye
* Be My Lover

7. Danny Elfman
Favorite Album: Batman Returns Original Motion Picture Score
Top 3 Songs:
* Selina Transforms [my favorite musical composition of all time]
* This Is Halloween
* Ice Dance

6. Queen
Favorite Album: Innuendo
Top 3 Songs:
* Headlong
* I'm Going Slightly Mad
* Gimme the Prize (Kurgan's Theme)

5. Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)
Favorite Album: Time
Top 3 Songs:
* Yours Truly 2095
* So Serious
* From the End of the World

4. Lemon Demon (Neil Cicerega)
Favorite Album: View-Monster
Top 3 Songs:
* Sundial
* Bill Watterson
* Word Disassociation

3. The Beatles
Favorite Album: Abbey Road
Top 3 Songs: 
* Think For Yourself
* I Am the Walrus
* While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Anthology/LOVE version)

2. Rush
Favorite Album: Counterparts
Top 3 Songs:
* Animate
* Limelight
* Red Sector A

1. "Weird Al" Yankovic
Favorite Album/Top 3* Songs: Join me next time ;)


2 comments:

  1. Hey, Tommy! Cannot tell you the impact that album had on me a few years back, ended up studying all the different versions of it--album, live, film, musical, etc.--and music directed a concert of it for the album's 50th back in 2019. Honestly a tremendous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I...ahh...just replaced it with Outfield's Voices of Babylon because I remembered it overnight. But...hey! You're alive too!

      The Who has always been one of those bands I respect more than I enjoy. I LOVE a lot from Tommy which is why it was on the shortlist, but I was actually struggling to think of a 5th album until Voices hit me last night.

      Delete