Sunday, December 5, 2021

Listmas 2021: Tabletop Gaming

Tabletop Gaming, while never quite going away, is certainly seeing something of a renaissance. It's been happening since the last half of the previous decade, but quarantines have seen it boost even higher through both family activities and online programs such as Tabletop Simulator.


Some readers may remember that I used to be involved with a community gaming day. This fell apart around the time other things in my life were, and after a falling out with that group in general I am looking for a new community to join. But I will always thank those people for helping me by either introducing me to or rekindling an old passion for many of the games on these lists. While it has been and continues to be difficult, I am eager to make new fond memories playing these games.



Top 11 Favorite Tabletop Games
1. Disney Villainous
2. Marvel United
3. Dungeons & Dragons (editions 3-5)
4. Red Dragon Inn
5. Scattergories
6. Gargoyles: Awakening
7. Magic: The Gathering
8. Clue
9. Root
10. Smash-Up
11. Star Wars D20 Saga Edition

Honorable Mentions
This is one of only two categories that will have an Honorable Mentions section. In the case of this one, it's because Tabletop Gaming is more than anything else a multiplayer experience, and I wanted to mention a few things for the sake of anyone I may or may not find a gaming table with.
* There are games like Mad Magazine Card Game and Almost Got 'Im that I remember playing and liking, but haven't played in a while and am abivilent to games their system is based on, so I want to try them again before I decide whether or not they would disrupt the above list.
* I am very interested in trying out the World of Darkness games Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse (20th Anniversary Editions Only), but having never played them I can't gauge how I feel.
* The original few sets of the Pokémon TCG - back before even Gen II was released - just barely missed the list.
* While I do still own two special versions of Monopoly that I will happily play with the right people, I am using this space to dishonorably mention that Monopoly will never ever again be anywhere near this list.

Top Villainous Characters
...will be a list for another day. Disney Villainous is my favorite tabletop game, my newest obsession, and I'm even part of a casual online tounement league. I will be writing a lot about Villainous in the coming months, and I'm saving my preferred characters list for then.

As an aside, while I own the games and will play with anyone who wants to, I'm actually not fond of Marvel Villainous. I applaud the attempts to iterate on the system to accomodate the shared universe, it just loses something in the translation for me. Though I stand by the statement I made that I will resolve to play it more if and when they add Green Goblin as a playable character.

Top 11 Marvel United Characters
...will similarly have to wait until I've played them all. I have a huge shipment coming in Spring of S1 and S2 boxes, but while I did try on Tabletop Simulator before I bought, the only physical copy I have in my hands is the S1 core box. And S2 has so much more - which is why I made it my first and only backed Kickstarter project despite really not being able to afford what I got - I had to call in a few birthday favors. (Spoiler Alert: I have a sneaking suspicion Nightcrawler will be in the Top 2 for reasons)

Top 5 Magic The Gathering Colors
1. Blue
2. Black
3. Green
4. White
5. Red

Top 11 Dungeons & Dragons Classes
1. Dragon Wyrmling (3/3.5e)
2. Sorcerer
3. Bard
4. Shaman (4e)
5. Warlock
6. Druid
7. Cleric
8. Wizard
9. Monk
10. Vrock (3/3.5e)
11. Barbarian

Top 11 Dungeons & Dragons Races
1. Dragon (3/3.5e)
2. Dragonborn
3. Goblin
4. Teifling
5. Gnoll
6. Lizardfolk
7. Tabaxi (5e)
8. Kobold
9. Half-Orc
10. Vrock (3/3.5e)
11. Yuan-Ti Pureblood (5e)

See you on the 7th and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment