Thursday, November 1, 2012

Star Wars Disneyfication - Take Two!

Well, this news has certainly taken most of my free brain processing time, so throw my previous post schedule right out the window (MOST will still come, just later than intended; Red Dragon I'll wait and talk about with its more famous film predecessor).

However, I have to hand it to the great folks at the SWPAS and "A Certain Point of View" for helping me to calm down and see reason.



Am I still scared? Take a look at the labels. But I'm much more optimistic than before.

1. I had mentioned before, but I will reiterate now: George Lucas, amongst many other things, is a savvy businessman. He also cares about an artist's rights to his own work, something some people just don't seem to get. There is no way in hell that Lucas did not protect his vision in the acquisition contract. Whatever the series evolves or devolves into from here, The Skywalker Saga, Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, VI (in their most recent and updated versions) are protected forever from deletion and any non-GL-approved meddling. So that's one less thing to worry about.

2. Most of our fears regarding Disney involved memories of loving the Disney Animated Canon and then looking in horror at the substandard (putting it nicely) direct-to-video sequels and whatnot. I mean, if there's anything that even comes close to the disgusting hateboy meme of "raped childhoods", those would be contenders (it's still a disgusting meme). However...They've had a very good track record on acquisitions. In the cases of both Pixar and Marvel Comics, they've pretty much allowed the companies to do what they wanted. Sure, they may have made "requests" here and there but for the most part they're left alone to do their own things. If Disney takes this approach with Lucasfilm in general, then all should still be well. And let's not forget, the reason WHY those DTV Sequels sucked more than the sum of their sucky parts is because the originals were often amazing, and Disney is responsible for letting that grow on its own as well. Will some of the spin-offs be lackluster? Of course, but that happens with every franchise ever. Even Star Wars isn't immune to it under Lucasfilm! But if they take the smart approach to the main films, it will be great for us.

Speaking of which...

3. Oh yeah, the new films! While my knee-jerk reaction was that they were unnecessary and hard to do right, and I still think they need just the right ingredients to make it feel all good and Lucas-y, I'm more and more intrigued by the prospect. I hope they make a new story and not go into the depressing storylines of the EU books detailing the post-"Jedi" era, but even if they do borrow some or all the story points there are ways it can work and I will certainly give it a chance. If I don't like it, well, I'll be able to explain why without demonizing anyone else for liking it. But if anything I just said is true there will be no way I won't get at least some enjoyment out of it.

Besides, new movies means having to cast new movies which means auditions! Fat chance, I know, but let a Star Wars fan with a BA in Theatre dream, will ya?

4. This is strictly coming from the fanboy in me, but Star Wars being a Disney property could possibly lead to what I and many others have dreamed of for nearly a decade: A SW-themed world (or worlds) in Kingdom Hearts! A lightkeyblade? Shut up and take my money!

Have more to say at this point, I do not.

P.S. In the spirit of honesty and full disclosure: For a direct-to-video sequel, "Lion King II" was actually decent. Not even close to the original, but it seemed like there was honest-to-god effort put into it and it did have some great moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment