I was thinking lately about how many classic lines there are in the Star Wars Saga. When IV-VI came out, the classic lines now ingrained in pop-culture's minds were a way for fans to show they were fans. Many of I-IIIs critics lament what they call a lack of such memorable lines in I-III. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Here is a list of the lines which, I think, would be considered just as classic if not for the hatedom (and in some circles, already are).
I'm doing these all from memory, so I fully expect some things might be slightly inaccurate. But that's to prove the point, since how many of the other quotes get mangled?
* "These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short."
* "Viceroy, I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again."
* "Roger Roger."
* "Have you ever encountered a Jedi Knight before?" "Well...no...but I don't...seal off the bridge!"
* "You were right about one thing, Master; Negotiations were short."
* "You assume too much"
* "A communications breakdown can mean only one thing - invasion"
* "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war."
* "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
* "Uh, on second tought...no, no, not really no..."
* "Tis embarrassing but...my afraid my have been banished. My forgotten...te bosses will do terrible things to me! Terrible things to me if me going back dere!"
* "Do you hear that? That is the sound of a thousand terrible things heading this way." "If they find us they will catch us, crush us into tiny bits and blast us into oblivion." "Ah...yousa point is well-seen."
* "How wude!"
* "Weesa no like da Naboo. Dey tink dey so smartay. Dey tink dey brains so big."
* "You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to one of you will effect the other. You must understand this."
* "Hissin to be...peunished..."
* "*gargle-growl* Begone wit him!"
* "Meesa cause mebbe one or twoey little-bitty accidentes, hmm? You'd say...boom de gasser, den crashin' de boss' heyblibber, den banished."
* "There's always a bigger fish."
* "Ohh, maxibig da Force. Well dat smells stinkowith."
* "Relax, we're not in trouble yet." "WHAT YET?! Monstars out dere, leakin' in here, all sinkin' and no power? When are yousa TINKIN' weesa in trouble?!"
* "Yousa guys bombad!"
* "Your negotiations seem to have failed." "The negotiations never took place."
* "I am the ambassador to the Supreme Chancellor, and I'm taking these people to Coruscant." "Where are you taking them?" "To Coruscant." "Coruscant. Uhh...That doesn't compute. Umm....err....ahh....you're under arrest!"
* "Dis sun doin; murder to meesa skin..."
* "Ahh yes, Nubian! We got lotsa that!"
* "So... let me take thee out back, eh? We'll find what ya need, heh heh heh."
* "Are you an angel?"
* "An angel. I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They're the most beautiful creatures in the universe. They live on the moons of Iego...I think..."
* "I'm a person, and my name is Anakin!"
* "Hey! Hit the nose!"
* "T-14 Hyperdrive. You're in luck; I'm the only one hereabouts who has one. But...you may as well buy a new ship. It would be cheaper, I think...heh heh. Saying which, ah, hows'n you gonna pay for all this?" "I have 20,000 Republic Dactaries." "Republic Credits? Republic Credits are no good out here, I need something a little more real." "I don't have anything else, but credits will do fine." "No, they won't." "Credits will do fine." "No, they WON'T. What, you think you're some kinda Jedi waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian! Mind tricks donna work on me, only money! No money, no parts, no deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I promise you that."
* "No again! No again! De beings hereabouts: cawazy! Weesa be robbed un crunched!" "Not likely. We have nothing of value. That's our problem."
* "Your friend here was about to be turned into orange goo. He picked a fight with a Dug; An especially dangerous Dug called Sebulba."
* "I'm sorry, what do you mean 'naked'?" "*beedle-boop*" "MY PARTS ARE SHOWING?!"
* "I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon." "Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took ti from him." "I don't think so. Nobody can kill a Jedi." "I wish that were so."
* "There is no other way. I may not like it, but he can help you. He was meant to help you."
* "Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I shall find them quickly, Master."
* "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."
* "I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it."
* "The reading's off the charts! Over twenty-thousand! Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midichlorian count that high."
* "Don't getta me wrongo, I have great faith in the boy. He's a credit to your race! But...Sebulba there is going to win, I think."
* "He always wins!"
* "You may have won this small toss, outlander, but you won't win the race so it makes little difference!"
* "Hosta wohota shag, topilia noke." "Ha screwmie dopot, sleimo!" "Yoko to bantha poodoo! Hehehehe...."
* "The Queen trusts my judgement, young handmaiden. You should too."
* "Oh, and there goes Quadrinaro's power coupling!"
* "Will I ever see you again?" "What does your heart tell you?" "I guess so....yes?"
* "The Republic is not what it once was. The senate is full of greedy, squabbling delegates."
* "You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. You believe it's this...boy?"
* "Fear is a path to the dark side! Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate...leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."
* "Yousa tinkin' yousa people gonna die?"
* "Your focus determines your reality."
* "HA! HAHAHAHahahahahaha! Yousa no tinkin' yousa greater den the Gungans? Meesa like dis! Maybe weesa...bein' friends!"
* "I'll try spinning; That's a good trick!"
* "Always two, there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice." "But which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?"
* "I haven't seen you so nervous since we fell into that nest of gundarks." "You fell into that nightmare, Master. And I rescued you."
* "What took you so long?" "Well you know, Master. I couldn't find a speeder I liked. Open cockpit, the right speed capabilities..."
* "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"
* "I think he's a she, and I think she's a changeling."
* "Wanna buy some deathsticks?" "You don't want to sell me deathsticks." "I don't wanna sell you deathsticks..." "You want to go home and rethink your life." "I wanna go home and...rethink my life..."
* "Jedi business. Go back to your drinks."
* "I should think that you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and..hehe...wisdom."
* "They're cloners. Damn good ones, too."
* "Are they friendly?" "Well that depends." "Depends on what, Dex?" "On how good your manners are. And how big your...pocketbook is. Hehehe..."
* "If it's not in our records, it doesn't exist."
* "Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing."
* "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."
* "I don't like sand. It's course, and rough, and irritating...and it gets everywhere."
* "When I got to them, we got into aggressive negotiations." "'Agressive Negotiations'? What's that?" "Ah, well, it's negotiations with a lightsaber."
* "I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe."
* "R4, scramble code five to Coruscant, care of the Old Folks Home."
* "You're making fun of me." "Nah, I'd be much too frightened to tease a senator."
* "He doesn't seem to take a hint, this guy."
* "Blast, this is why I hate flying!"
* "...Ani?....Little Ani? Nahhh....You are Ani, it is you! Hahaha! You sure sprouted, eh? A Jedi! Whaddaya know? Hey, maybe you can help with some deadbeats who owe me a lotta money..."
* "Life is much simpler when you're fixing things. I was always good at fixing things..."
* "I killed them...I killed them all...They're dead...Every single one of them...And not just the men, but the women and children two. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!"
* "No, this is a mistake my friend. A terrible mistake! They've gone too far this time! This is madness!"
* "It may be difficult to secure your release."
* "Senators! Dellow felagates! Meesa propose weesa grant immediately emergency powers to da Supreme Chancellor."
* "I was beginning to wonder if you got my message." "I retransmitted it to Coruscant just as you asked, Master. Then we decided to come and rescue you." ".....Good job!"
* "My legs aren't moving. I must need maintenance."
* "I was programmed for etiquette, not destruction!"
* "It seems that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force...but by our skills with a lightsaber."
* "Victory? Victory, you say? Master Obi-Wan...not victory! The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun, the Clone War has."
* "Whaat's the situation?"
* "I sense Count Dooku." "I sense a trap." "What should we do?" "Spring the trap."
* "Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our speciality."
* "Ahh, the negotiator. General Kenobi. That wasn't much of a rescue. And...Anakin Skywalker. I was expecting someone of your reputation to be a little...older." "General Grievous...you're shorter than I expected."
* "You are on this council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master."
* "Good relations with the Wookiees, I have."
* "Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's an old Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a dark lord of the Sith so powerful he could influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side...he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying."
* "How ironic...he could save others from death, but not himself..."
* "Is it possible to learn this power?" "Not from a Jedi."
* "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku!"
* "Army or not, you must realize you are doomed."
* "Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"
* "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!"
* "Execute Order 66."
* "If you are not with me, then you are my enemy!" "Only a Sith deals in absolutes...I shall do what I must." "You will try..."
* "I have been waiting a long time for this, my little green friend..."
* "If so powerful you are, why leave?"
* "At an end, your rule is. And not short enough it was."
* "I shoudl have known the Jedi were planning to take over!" "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!" "Well from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!" "Well then you are lost!"
* "It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!" "You underestimate my power!" "Don't try it!"
* "You were the chosen one! It was said you'd destroy the Sith, not join them!"
* "Where is Padmé? Is she...safe? Is she...alright?" "It seems in your anger...you have killed her." "No...I couldn't have...she was alive, I felt it.........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yeah, no memorable lines whatsoever.
If there's one I missed that you and your friends use for subversive I-III-loving, please let me know in the comments!