Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Twelve Days of Listmas Day 10: My Top 20 Video Games of All Time!

Video Games are a fairly new source of art, but at the same time no less deserving of love and nostalgia. What follows are my Top 20 Favorite Video Games!



Top 20 Favorite Video Games of All Time
20. Crash Bandicoot 1-3 and Crash Team Racing
19. Fossil Fighters
18. Desert Demolition with Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner
17. Final Fantasy VI and IX
16. Spore
15. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
14. Freaky Flyers
13. Lego Pop-Culture series
12. South Park Rally
11. Star Wars Episode I Racer and Racer Revenge
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
9. Star Wars Battlefront II
8. Super Smash Bros. series
7. Mario Kart series
6. X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance series
5. Star Wars: The Old Republic
4. Skylanders series
3. Pokémon series
2. Kingdom Hearts series
1. World of Warcraft

5 comments:

  1. I like that you mention them as being art, since that's something I've believed in for a while.

    Of course, I think what's interesting about video games is that the margin for 'art' and 'not art' is much larger than it is for other mediums- even in the early days, where something like the original Super Mario Bros. isn't really art, but the original Metroid totally is. It's interesting to look at them as a way of actually clarifying what makes something 'art' versus just entertainment, and being able to draw those distinctions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMB is totally art, just the abstract mindscrewy kind. Which is just as valid, if not necessarily "great".

      Delete
    2. You may be right. I see it as more a technical achievement than an actual work of art (though it gets closer to art the further you go down the line, definitively reaching it by at least Super Mario RPG), but I guess you could definitely read it in that kind of light.

      Delete
    3. Hey, even "bad" art is still technically art.

      Delete
    4. Absolutely, I agree totally there. My point is just that its central purpose seems to be a technical one rather than an artistic one, but again, I think it's probably possible to read it in an artistic light as well.

      Delete