Monday, December 31, 2012

December Wrap-Up and the Future of Anniversary Reviews

When I started the Anniversary Reviews, it was because of two things. First, I wanted to celebrate those pieces of media that I truly love. I also wanted an excuse to write every so often and not let the blog fade away because I was busy.

Well, the Jedi News deal has taken care of problem number 2, almost too well. I find I don't have the time or patience for the Anniversary Reviews as they were conceived. You've noticed they've been scaled back and back for a while. Well, here's how it's going to be from now on:

1. Every month, I will make a big post with some notable (to me) anniversaries of things that were released that month.
2. A particular piece of media will only get its own post if it's on the Top 20 list and/or I have a lot to say about it.



So with that out of the way, here are two more films with anniversaries this month:

Chicago (film musical)
10 Years Old This Month
I remember it had been a while since I had seen a new film musical, and I knew this one was famous. Heck, one of the shows I did in drama club as an elementary-schooler had "Razzle Dazzle" as one of the songs (though I didn't know it was from here until Richard Gere started singing it in the film - imagine my surprise!). Anyway, I wanted to give it a shot and I wasn't disappointed. I liked how the musical numbers were more like dream sequences; it was a very clever twist on the musical formula. The cast was spot on, the songs were amazing. Special props go to John C. Riley and his rendition of "Mr. Cellophane", as well as the entire "We Both Reached For the Gun" sequence. I suppose it's fitting that the film came out around the time that reality shows were on the rise, because the show really is all about what a circus certain types of "real life" stories can turn into.

The Dark Crystal
30 Years Old This Month
This was a big step out of left field for Jim Henson, but I think it worked perfectly. I love the story, I love the world, and oh my god do I love the character designs. Especially the Mystics and the Skeksies. I'll admit the Gelflings are a little bland personality-wise, and I don't like how the crystal guardians (don't quite know what they're called) look absolutely nothing like the two races they spawned. But these are minor nitpicks. I keep reading rumors of a sequel trying to get off the ground. If they keep the imagination (and puppetry), I definitely wouldn't mind stepping back there.

I have one movie to give it's own post to, and after that we'll see you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment